Medical Institutional Action (AMCAS) due to COVID Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Helpful advice would be much appreciated. Currently, I just graduated college and am applying for medical school and taking a gap year. Last semester, our college had strict covid policy rules, such as a no-guest policy in dorms and a no alcohol policy in dorms as well (even if you are older than 21). One day towards the end of last semester, we had a group of friends that gathered and drank alcohol. It just so happened that one of the individuals smoked and campus police noticed it and reported it to housing staff. The housing staff entered the 4 person dorm and my roommates and I were charged with smoking (I did not smoke), having alcohol (everyone was over 21), and breaking covid guest policy, which is totally understandable. I was wondering how should I go about reporting this situation on my Institutional Action section and how much of an impact this will have on my application. Thank you so much for your understanding.

For someone who wants to go into health care, breaking a COVID policy is gonna be a big deal. What do you mean by "how should I go about reporting this situation?"

Members don't see this ad.

Not gonna lie, that’s a pretty draconian policy.

how much trouble you’re in depends on how competitive you were to start out with. If your app was great then you are likely fine. If you were borderline, this gives an adcom a reason to trash your app in favor of someone else.

Not gonna lie, that’s a pretty draconian policy.

how much trouble you’re in depends on how competitive you were to start out with. If your app was great then you are likely fine. If you were borderline, this gives an adcom a reason to trash your app in favor of someone else.
Agree. What did your app look like?

Members don't see this ad :)
The the way you write off the school's anti-smoking and anti-drinking policy is of concern to me. Being over 21 is irrelevant, as the school has a no drinking policy.

That telegraphs the special snowflake syndrome that somebody thinks that the rules don't apply to them.

Grades alone: 3.73 GPA and 509 MCAT at a T20 institution (if that even matters), so I guess its a meh applicant profile.

Yeah this isn’t a great thing to have happen right as you are applying as your stats are indeed pretty meh. I do worry that you’re going to wind up landing on the reject side of the bubble more often than the interview side because there are going to be plenty of people with your stats who don’t have an IA on their record.

Just add some more DO schools and be factual about what happened in your explanation. Start doing things that show integrity like getting leadership positions, increase your volunteering, etc. And it’s true for everyone until they get an acceptance but definitely find your plan B in case things don’t work out this year. You may as well apply if you’re all set to apply and see what happens. but it may be that you just need to put some time between this incident and your application.

Hello,

Helpful advice would be much appreciated. Currently, I just graduated college and am applying for medical school and taking a gap year. Last semester, our college had strict covid policy rules, such as a no-guest policy in dorms and a no-alcohol policy in dorms as well (even if you are older than 21). One day towards the end of last semester, we had a group of friends that gathered and drank alcohol. It just so happened that one of the individuals smoked and campus police noticed it and reported it to housing staff. The housing staff entered the 4 person dorm and my roommates and I were charged with smoking (I did not smoke), having alcohol (everyone was over 21), and breaking covid guest policy, which is totally understandable. I was wondering how should I go about reporting this situation on my Institutional Action section and how much of an impact this will have on my application. Thank you so much for your understanding.

Go to your school's student conduct dean and seek advice on how to disclose this on your application. Just the facts are necessary as anything more is going to color your response as being possibly immature or entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.