Institutional Action for Alcohol (I've seen the other posts)

thrashard

5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Unlike many who may be unsure, I've spoken to my school's conduct office and am sure I have an institutional action on my record.

My question is how I should go about writing the explanation.

Long story short, I was living in the dorms as a freshman and during my first semester I got caught in a friend's dorm playing beer pong. The police were involved, but I didn't get in any kind of trouble with them. I think (I don't really remember) they found pot on one of my friends, because when I spoke to the conduct admin at my school, they informed me that I was charged with (1) alcohol and (2) illegal drugs. As nothing was found on me and I don't even do drugs (a fact to which my friends attested), I was found "not guilty" for the drugs, but I truthfully admitted to the beer pong, so I was found "guilty" for that during a hearing in front of the conduct board. I had to write a letter of apology and that was about it.

Now, 4 years later, going through my amcas application and using the advice (keep it concise, clear, short and reflective) of peers on this forum, I was hoping anyone could tell me if what I have written is sufficient, or perhaps offer some ideas or constructive criticisms. I appreciate any help in this matter, and best of luck to everyone else applying this cycle!!

My explanation:
"While I was living in the dorms during my first semester in college in Fall 2008, I was the recipient of an institutional action. The infraction was drinking at a friends dorm. It was a juvenile act that was detrimental not only to my studies, but to my reputation as a good student. I appeared before a conduct board where I admitted my wrongdoings and I wrote a letter of apology afterward. The act was very short-sighted and the last of any kind of misconduct, academic or otherwise."

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I would say something about how it absolutely does not reflect on you as a person or a student. I think you should also explicitly state that you take responsibility for your actions. Try to put as positive a spin on it as you possibly can.

TheGloaming

5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2010
New England
Status
Medical Student
I would say something about how it absolutely does not reflect on you as a person or a student. I think you should also explicitly state that you take responsibility for your actions. Try to put as positive a spin on it as you possibly can.
This is good but don't try and make it sound too much like it's completely absurd that a person such as yourself could commit this type of offense. I mean you did do it. Say something along the lines of "I take full responsibility for the offense as I was aware of the rules but unfortunately made a poor decision."

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
This is good but don't try and make it sound too much like it's completely absurd that a person such as yourself could commit this type of offense. I mean you did do it. Say something along the lines of "I take full responsibility for the offense as I was aware of the rules but unfortunately made a poor decision."
Yea, I was trying to say that it is important to show that you 1. take responsibility and 2. are remorseful.

OP
T

thrashard

5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I appreciate the responses, everyone!

I've revised the summary to this:

"While I was living in the dorms during my first semester in college in Fall 2008, I was the recipient of an institutional action. The infraction was drinking alcohol at a friends dorm. It was a juvenile act that was detrimental not only to my studies, but to my reputation as a good student. I appeared before a conduct board where I admitted my wrongdoings and I wrote a letter of apology afterward. I accept full responsibility for my unfortunate, short-sighted actions and made sure it was the last of any kind of misconduct."

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
The only thing "unfortunate" about being caught playing beer pong is getting caught. I'd take "unfortunate" out of the last sentence.