Institutional Action (minor but very unique - help needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiring20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this topic before, but I think i've finalized my explanation. Here is what I am planning to put on the AMCAS application for institutional action.

"Frustrated with a relationship and stressed out during junior year, I vented my emotions by making threatening comments on Facebook. To help me manage my stress properly and express my emotions healthfully, a dean referred me to counseling and instructed me to maintain a therapeutic relationship with a clinician. Initially, I didn’t take full advantage of this invaluable service, and my wellbeing didn’t improve much – I continued to make concerning statements on Facebook during moments of stress. At the end of junior year, I slept through a counseling appointment and didn’t reschedule immediately. Consequently I was found responsible for “failure to comply”. I received a disciplinary warning and the directive to actively engage with my clinician.

I took full responsibilities, and I began to interact much more proactively and regularly with my clinician. As a result, I learned how to effectively manage my stress and drastically improved my physical and emotional wellness during senior year. I became more productive, social, optimistic, mature, and ready for medical school."

So...how big of an impact will this have? I view this as a minor infraction. Also, do I need to change my explanation? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

this one is different. it actually involves an institutional action.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frustrated with a relationship and stressed out during junior year, I vented my emotions by making threatening comments on Facebook. To help me manage my stress properly and express my emotions healthfully, a dean referred me to counseling and instructed me to maintain a therapeutic relationship with a clinician. Initially, I didn't take full advantage of this invaluable service, and my wellbeing didn't improve much – I continued to make concerning statements on Facebook during moments of stress. At the end of junior year, I slept through a counseling appointment and didn't reschedule immediately. Consequently I was found responsible for "failure to comply". I received a disciplinary warning and the directive to actively engage with my clinician.

I took full responsibilities, and I began to interact much more proactively and regularly with my clinician. As a result, I learned how to effectively manage my stress and drastically improved my physical and emotional wellness during senior year. I became more productive, social, optimistic, mature, and ready for medical school."

As a female reader, the word "threatening" in the first sentence is an immediate turn-off. Although you take steps to explain your motivations for the incident further later in the narrative, nowhere in the first paragraph do you acknowledge that "threatening" your girlfriend was an inappropriate action that you regret.

I would add somewhere in the first paragraph an acknowledgement that this was an unhealthy way to express stress and the steps you have taken to apologize/make up for this situation.

I would also be more explicit with details in the 2nd paragraph. Maybe you want to include specifics like, "I learned to manage my stress by X, Y, and Z", I have learned XXX about myself from this incident, and I am dedicated to X, Y, Z, to ensure it won't ever happen again.

Just my two cents as a non-English major.

thanks for the response. i actually never threatened anyone...here is a better version

Frustrated with a friendship and stressed out during junior year, I vented my emotions by making concerning comments towards a student on Facebook. No inappropriate interactions or threats took place, but as a precaution, a dean prohibited further contact with the student. In addition, to help me manage my stress properly and express my emotions healthfully, the dean referred me to counseling and instructed me to maintain a therapeutic relationship with a clinician. Initially, I didn’t take full advantage of this invaluable service, and my wellbeing didn’t improve much. At the end of junior year, I slept through a counseling appointment and didn’t reschedule immediately. Consequently, I was found responsible for “failure to comply”. I received a disciplinary warning and the directive to actively engage with my clinician.

I took full responsibilities, and I began to interact much more proactively with my clinician. As a result, I learned how to effectively manage my stress and improved my physical and emotional wellness during senior year. I also realized that while it is legal to say certain things on Facebook, some statements are inherent hurtful towards others. I became more sensitive, friendly, and ready for medical school.

I've posted about this topic before, but I think i've finalized my explanation. Here is what I am planning to put on the AMCAS application for institutional action.

"Frustrated with a relationship and stressed out during junior year, I vented my emotions by making threatening comments on Facebook. To help me manage my stress properly and express my emotions healthfully, a dean referred me to counseling and instructed me to maintain a therapeutic relationship with a clinician. Initially, I didn’t take full advantage of this invaluable service, and my wellbeing didn’t improve much – I continued to make concerning statements on Facebook during moments of stress. At the end of junior year, I slept through a counseling appointment and didn’t reschedule immediately. Consequently I was found responsible for “failure to comply”. I received a disciplinary warning and the directive to actively engage with my clinician.

So...how big of an impact will this have? I view this as a minor infraction. Also, do I need to change my explanation? Thanks

I have seen you say this in the multiple threads you have started. I would suggest not having this attitude in interviews. You might think it's minor, but it was enough to warrant an IA. Be honest, be remorseful, show that you have learned. Don't be dismissive.

...I would suggest not having this attitude in interviews. You might think it's minor, but it was enough to warrant an IA. Be honest, be remorseful, show that you have learned. Don't be dismissive.

:thumbup:

Here is the latest version. I shouldnt use the word threatening, because that's not what happened.

Frustrated with a friendship and stressed out during junior year, I vented my emotions by making concerning comments towards a student on my Facebook wall. No inappropriate interactions or threats took place, but as a precaution, a dean prohibited further contact with the student. In addition, to help me manage my stress properly and express my emotions healthfully, the dean referred me to counseling and required me to maintain a therapeutic relationship with a clinician. Initially, I didn’t take full advantage of this invaluable service, and my wellbeing didn’t improve much. At the end of junior year, I slept through a counseling appointment and didn’t reschedule immediately. Consequently, I was found responsible for “failure to comply”. I received a disciplinary warning and the directive to actively engage with my clinician.

I took full responsibilities, and I began to interact much more proactively with my clinician. As a result, I learned how to effectively manage my stress and improved my emotional health. I also realized that while it is legal to say certain things on Facebook, some statements will invariably cause concern and trigger a response. From this experience, I became a more mature, sensitive, and amiable person.

Status
Not open for further replies.