Institutional Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some input on an institutional action that is on my record (not transcript). During my sophomore year, I got housing probation when I was at a friends dorm room. The charges are basically 1. violating quite hours, 2. violating max room occupancy, 3. failing to comply with RAs.

The last one is what I'm most concerned about. I was underage at the time and the friend whose room I was is in was over 21 - so there was alcohol present (which was allowed by our school). When the RAs knocked on the door, my friend's roommate gave them fake names for those of us who were underage - after which we left.

I'm thinking about answering it in the AMCAS and secondaries basically like this:

I was in a situation I should not have been, was not honest, and failed to take responsibility for my actions. In the future, I will be more careful about my surroundings and behave more responsibly.

Would something like that be sufficient? I'm also curious to know how this would affect my admission chances

Members don't see this ad.

Here's how I would say it:

During my sophomore year, I was placed on housing probation due to a dorm room incident that occurred while I was in a friend's room. We were written up for violating quiet hours, violating maximum room capacity, and failing to comply with the RAs. The last point was due to one member of the party (not me) giving fake names to the RA. From this experience I learned to be more careful about my surroundings and to behave more responsibly.

I would expect this to have no bearing on your likelihood of being admitted to medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's how I would say it:

During my sophomore year, I was placed on housing probation due to a dorm room incident that occurred while I was in a friend's room. We were written up for violating quiet hours, violating maximum room capacity, and failing to comply with the RAs. The last point was due to one member of the party (not me) giving fake names to the RA. From this experience I learned to be more careful about my surroundings and to behave more responsibly.

I would expect this to have no bearing on your likelihood of being admitted to medical school.

Thanks @LizzyM! I'll use similar language