Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

MD & DO Institutional Action

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by red_pepper12, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:06 PM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. red_pepper12

red_pepper12

Thursday
    Hey guys,
    I am an undergrad at a Top 20 undergraduate school with a very high Lizzy M score and an ARS score of 87, according to WedgeDawg's system. I made a careless mistake my freshman year. I have scoured the forums to see why other students have received IA's, but I think mine is somewhat unique. I would truly appreciate your expertise and guidance.

My freshman year I made the very bad decision to start smoking in my dorm room. While I was out of my room one day, I got a phone call saying my smoke detector was going off. I ran back to see what was going on, and I saw that a fire had started inside my dorm room. The incident was completely accidental, and the fire started when I was not in the room. No one was injured. Through the school's preponderance of evidence, it was determined more likely than not that smoking material had caused the fire. I completely agree that I should not have been smoking in my dorm room. I was suspended for my sophomore year and continued to take classes at CC and devoted time to my EC's.

Now as a senior at my university, I have a 3.91 GPA with a 520 MCAT. I have tons of clinical experience, multiple research projects with publications and posters, non-clinical experience (including being elected to my city commission for homelessness), and leadership experience. Without my IA, I would feel confident applying to Top 20 MD programs. I am worried that this incident will forever haunt me and do not know if I should start considering other career tracks. Again, I would truly appreciate any guidance, as I am in a very tough spot in life right now.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Faha

Faha 5+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Physician
    Where is your state of residence?

4. hales1120

hales1120

Nov 7, 2016
    I had an IA my freshman year as well. Not quite as severe as yours as mine was related to underage drinking. However, I have way lower stats than you do and have had no problem getting interviews and acceptances so far. It does come up in the interviews and I have a good explanation for it. If it's a closed file interview I recommend bringing it up yourself and explaining it from your point of view. Also, make sure to disclose it on all applications and secondaries!! Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to pm me!

red_pepper12 likes this.
  5. red_pepper12

red_pepper12

Thursday
    California

6. red_pepper12

red_pepper12

Thursday
    @Goro @LizzyM I would really appreciate your guys' guidance as well.

7. sb247

sb247 wait...you mean I got in? 5+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Galt's Gulch
    I’m more concerned that you were incapable of putting out a cigarette/joint than your decision to smoke one

8. •Syzygy•

•Syzygy• SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

May 18, 2017
    all you did was set your dorm room on fire almost killing hundreds of students. i dont see what the big deal is

WhereMyLiberalsAt likes this.
  9. red_pepper12

red_pepper12

Thursday
    To my knowledge, it was out. I was always careful of that. That's why this whole incident was surprising and pretty traumatic. And also, I know I endangered the lives of many students, but the entire incident was completely accidental and I had no idea the fire had even started. I wasn't maliciously trying to hurt anybody and am extremely thankful no one got hurt. But regardless, I know my situation is pretty bad and am just looking for some advice.

10. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

It's an accident.

red_pepper12 likes this.
  11. DubbiDoctor

DubbiDoctor

Aug 13, 2016
    Apply broadly, including top 20s and less competitive schools. Show contrition, explain how you've learned from your experience, and try to do advocacy for fire safety and smoking prevention.

red_pepper12 likes this.