institutional action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

patrickj

I've been reading a lot of IA threads but can't stop worrying about this situation which I was in two years ago. When I was a freshman I was placed on "disciplinary" probation for throwing water balloons off the dorm roof (and one person who was with us was drinking). Sophomore year I was put on probation for being at a party that was too loud after hours and the only reason I (only person to get probation from the party) was put on probation that time was because I had previously been on probation (for the water balloon incident). I knew this day would come and I am taking the MCAT in May and plan on applying in June to multiple medical schools. I have never felt more foolish than those two times that I got in trouble. I had to do 60 hours (combined) of community service, attend an alcohol counseling meeting, and write a paper to the dean of student affairs. I have "grown up" since then but I know this would be hard for an adcom to assess. It is not on my transcript and the probation ends when I graduate. Will med schools toss my app as soon as they see this? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading a lot of IA threads but can't stop worrying about this situation which I was in two years ago. When I was a freshman I was placed on "disciplinary" probation for throwing water balloons off the dorm roof (and one person who was with us was drinking). Sophomore year I was put on probation for being at a party that was too loud after hours and the only reason I (only person to get probation from the party) was put on probation that time was because I had previously been on probation (for the water balloon incident). I knew this day would come and I am taking the MCAT in May and plan on applying in June to multiple medical schools. I have never felt more foolish than those two times that I got in trouble. I had to do 60 hours (combined) of community service, attend an alcohol counseling meeting, and write a paper to the dean of student affairs. I have "grown up" since then but I know this would be hard for an adcom to assess. It is not on my transcript and the probation ends when I graduate. Will med schools toss my app as soon as they see this? Thanks for your time!

I'd suggest the first thing you do is get a copy of all of your university records to see exactly what they say. I don't think those things would be a real issue, but you never know. Some secondary apps specifically ask about disciplinary action (I don't believe that's on the primary app, but I could be mistaken; correct me if I'm wrong). Usually, the academic action thing is looking for cases of cheating, etc.