Institutional Affiliation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin found out I didn't apply to Tufts; he went berserk and told me to do it now because he thought that the fact he went to Tufts will give me a leg up. I am fairly sure that you are only affiliated to a school if your parents or siblings go to that school however, as silly as he usually is, he might be right. Should I apply to Tufts? I don't even know if they ask about affiliation in their secondary. Any help is appreciated.

I didn't apply to Tufts earlier because my number is fairly weak compare to their accepted number. I am a cGPA 3.64 and 33M.

Members don't see this ad.

My cousin found out I didn't apply to Tufts; he went berserk and told me to do it now because he thought that the fact he went to Tufts will give me a leg up. I am fairly sure that you are only affiliated to a school if your parents or siblings go to that school however, as silly as he usually is, he might be right. Should I apply to Tufts? I don't even know if they ask about affiliation in their secondary. Any help is appreciated.

I didn't apply to Tufts earlier because my number is fairly weak compare to their accepted number. I am a cGPA 3.64 and 33M.

Do you want to go to Tufts? If so, apply.

If not. Don't.

i thought my school was expensive until i saw the price tag for tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't tufts the most expensive of all the private schools?

The misspelling was on purpose. Tuft sounds like tough. The tuition will be "tuft" to pay. Say it out loud and it will make sense, noob.

tough*

If you can't spell, you'll be a terrible doctor.

There is so much notsureifsrs.jpg going on in this thread right now... :confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go to Tufts and your cousin is willing to write to the admissions committee on your behalf and believes he has sway with them, then yes you should apply. Applying for the sake of your cousin's experience is a good way to blow money.

tough*

If you can't spell, you'll be a terrible doctor.
you've not met many doctors!

pun--->sarcasm---->overreaction/troll---->co-trolling?

mind =:boom:

Remember that average numbers means that there are a significant number of people that are below it. Adcoms don't look at numbers exclusively so why not?

Your M may hold you back from a lot of schools, but it wouldn't hurt to apply if you WANTED to go there. I got an interview invite there, and I listed that my cousin attended TUSM. I had a 3.8cGPA and 32R. What's done is done---keep in mind, it IS a very expensive school though, so I declined their interview invitation. Ironically, as a private, it does cost LESS than the University of Illinois COM if you're OOS.

Remember that average numbers means that there are a significant number of people that are below it. Adcoms don't look at numbers exclusively so why not?

Not if the curve looks more like a cliff with no one below the median. Think about it..... The mean will be higher than the median but you've basically got a floor that's hard to crack (but that might be cracked under exceptional circumstances for <10% of matriculants).

Not if the curve looks more like a cliff with no one below the median. Think about it..... The mean will be higher than the median but you've basically got a floor that's hard to crack (but that might be cracked under exceptional circumstances for <10% of matriculants).

Yeah I understand, I was just pointing out that there are people between the average and the 10th percentile and that it couldn't hurt to try. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no (albeit with a loss of about 100 dollars or so) and if he doesn't apply, he won't get in anyway.

LizzyM, I love you.

Thanks for the input. I guess it's not worth my time to apply to Tufts. One more question: how important is the writing sample? Some guy above said it will hold me back while I have heard from many others that nobody really cares about it. Which one is true?

Thanks for the input. I guess it's not worth my time to apply to Tufts. One more question: how important is the writing sample? Some guy above said it will hold me back while I have heard from many others that nobody really cares about it. Which one is true?

I remember asking one of the folks at Kaplan about how hard I needed to prepare for the writing section. They laughed at me. :(

The dean of one of the med schools nearby my school came to talk to us about the application process. He didn't even know what the grading scale was for the writing (as in, what was the letter range).

Im glad I checked this thread out. I had completely written off Tufts due to cost, but I would LOVE to live in Boston, so Im gonna add it to AMCAS after having looked at the school's website. It wouldnt be a top choice, but Its a school that I would be happy at.

Just saw all the responses to my post. I know, I know, a week late. I've been busy.

I can't believe anybody thought a forced invocation of Burnett's Law was srs.