Institutions with strength in Aquaculture medicine/ aquatic pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi would just like to ask around which are the colleges that have programs in aquaculture medicine and aquatic pathology esp in terms of graduate opportunities. I’ve found a listing online from some years back:

The Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island
The College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
The College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia
The College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University
The College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University
The Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph

any thoughts on much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

University of Florida has marine programs (not sure about aquaculture specifically) and has an aquatic pathology service. They don’t have a specific aquatic pathology residency but the residents do spend a large amount of time on that service.

Also tagging @katashark for insight.

Reactions: 1 user
NCSU has a busy exotics service with standout faculty in aquatic animal (fish, marine reptile, and even whale) medicine. UGA has a large anatomic path group, with a single faculty member dedicated solely to the pathology of aquatic animals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not on your list, but U of Illinois has a zoo path residency. One of our newer pathology faculty also has a special interest in aquaculture and helps students find externships in that realm.

Oregon State gives you plenty of time to build your own aquaculture curriculum? I agree with the subsequent listings. Wisconsin also has some opportunities. It matters less which specific school you go to, and more about how you use the time in the vet curriculum to build up your aquatic veterinary resume. Some built in programs make that a little easier, but when I look at the people currently in my field, they aren't all from one school or anything like that. I'm currently working in aquaculture medicine, and I'm happy to answer more questions! :D

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure that UC Davis has a fish path specialty in residency as well as a separate program or fellowship type thing on aquaculture medicine iirc.

yeah UC Davis has a 1 year fellowship in aquatic animal medicine. the marine mammal center has a 1 year internship in marine mammal medicine/path that I think is run out of Davis. Davis also has a zoo/wildlife path track in their residency that I think would deal with aquatics as well.

WADDL (Washington State CVM) will also let folks rotate through the path lab and focus in aquatics as externs.

It's interesting because there are a few full aquatic residencies, but aquatics itself is not a boarded specialty. There are some different certificates available, and I think aquatics can be a subsection of zoo boards. I'm not in contact with a ton of people who have gone that route.

OP- I'm currently an aquaculture vet. Are you looking for which DVM programs have aquaculture as a focus, or are you looking for internships/residencies?

They serve "fish milkshakes" to their patients, and to this day, the memory of those blenders simultaneously cracks me up and makes me want to gag

😋 🐟🦈

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
They serve "fish milkshakes" to their patients, and to this day, the memory of those blenders simultaneously cracks me up and makes me want to gag

😋 🐟🦈
i was so sad when my externship there was canceled d/t covid.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
What is your best recommendation for a current vet student who has interest in working with an aquarium in the future. Any specific places that offer great experiences with getting more aquatic medicine experience prior to work? If you know of any other places other than UC Davis' fellowship or if you recommend just jumping into work after school and gaining on the job. Our current school offers two aquatic medicine courses which i plan to take but know that it will only offer limited knowledge. Thanks!

😋 🐟🦈
When I worked with seabirds I spent so, so much time blenderizing fish and straining the mush when prepping. Blegh.

What is your best recommendation for a current vet student who has interest in working with an aquarium in the future. Any specific places that offer great experiences with getting more aquatic medicine experience prior to work? If you know of any other places other than UC Davis' fellowship or if you recommend just jumping into work after school and gaining on the job. Our current school offers two aquatic medicine courses which i plan to take but know that it will only offer limited knowledge. Thanks!
My work offers a great externship for salmon aquaculture in the PNW (Pacific Northwest Salmonid Veterinary Externship Program). Aquarium specific stuff, you are looking at workshops, conferences, and externships.

Courses: Salmonid Disease Workshop at Oregon, UF online courses such as Diseases of Warmwater Fish, Aquatic Wildlife Health Issues, etc.
Workshops: Aquavet, Seavet, Marvet, Lab Fish Course in Bristol, RI
Conferences: See AAFV and WAVMA and IAAAM, potentially American Fisheries Society Fish Health Section,
Highly recommend joining professional organizations so that you are notified of things.

If you want more info, I run a free journal club that is available to students and have a listserv where I distribute aquatic opportunities.

Externships: SeaWorld, Mystic, Sea Life Park Hawaii, Ocean Park Hong Kong, Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory, Tennessee, Oregon Coast Aquarium, Aquarium of the Pacific, The Marine Mammal Center, Pacific Marine Mammal Center, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Georgia Sea Turtle, US Navy, Vancouver Aquarium, Florida Aquarium, Project Piaba, WI DNR, ODFW, Georgia Aquarium, Aquatic Veterinary Services might come back by the time you are ready. There are a ton. Please see AAFV's and WAVMA's externship listings, or ask me for more info.

Internships: Florida, Vancouver, Mystic, UC Davis, I think Illinois kinda has a combo zoo/wildlife/aquatics thing, Marine Mammal Center, Alaska SeaLife Center

You can be ready right after school to hop into aquaculture provided you have a lot of fish experience. For aquarium jobs, you'll most likely need a SA rotating internship, an aquarium internship, maybe a residency, that is not necessarily required, and then a job.

I'm happy to chat more via PM. I'm currently a fish and wildlife veterinarian in WA and I am extremely networked in the aquarium world.

What exactly are you looking for? Public aquarium type stuff? Fish, mammals, reptiles, and birds?

Reactions: 2 users