Instructors of Kaplan Classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killinsound

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some of you posters are kaplan instructors.
I just got an e-mail that says they are interested in me becoming one of their instructors based on my practice kaplan scores. Now, i didn't do as well as on the real deal (36S)... whereas my practice scores are quite a bit higher. Will this matter?

What is the pay like and how much time does it demand? Any general info?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll make a lot more $$$s tutoring high school students. A friend of mine teaches for Kaplan and he says its hella time consuming having to prepare. I think Kaplan pays him $30/hr (he has a B.S. in Chem) for in-class teaching which doesn't include the prep time.

i don't teach mcat but i've taught other pre-graduate school exams for kaplan, and as long as you score in the 90th %ile it doesn't really matter how much above you are. you do, however, have to audition, and higher scores won't really help you if you are a poor public speaker :rolleyes:

where i'm from (small state in midwest) mcat teachers get ~$18 an hour, but i hear in bigger cities they make more. in general, it goes that if your class is 2 1/2 hours you spend about 2 1/2 hours for prep if it's your first time teaching (you get paid for your prep time as well).

hope that helps! i actually enjoy teaching there :)

You'll be fine to teach with a 36. You need the 90th %ile, which is a 33 I believe.

In any case, the pay isn't that great, at least here in Boston. MCAT teachers start off making $17/hr for live teaching, $10/hr for proctoring, and $7/hr for everything else. In reality, you shouldn't expect to teach more than 2 3-hour classes a week, unless you have nothing else to do.

You do need to put a lot of work into it at first. Prepping the lessons is quite an ordeal, and you should expect to spend at least 2 hours prepping every 1 hour of lesson.

For this and other reasons, I would not recommend teaching at Kaplan. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

I know some of you posters are kaplan instructors.
I just got an e-mail that says they are interested in me becoming one of their instructors based on my practice kaplan scores. Now, i didn't do as well as on the real deal (36S)... whereas my practice scores are quite a bit higher. Will this matter?

What is the pay like and how much time does it demand? Any general info?

You'll be fine to teach with a 36. You need the 90th %ile, which is a 33 I believe.

In any case, the pay isn't that great, at least here in Boston. MCAT teachers start off making $17/hr for live teaching, $10/hr for proctoring, and $7/hr for everything else. In reality, you shouldn't expect to teach more than 2 3-hour classes a week, unless you have nothing else to do.

You do need to put a lot of work into it at first. Prepping the lessons is quite an ordeal, and you should expect to spend at least 2 hours prepping every 1 hour of lesson.

For this and other reasons, I would not recommend teaching at Kaplan. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

So, I'm reviving this thread. Does anyone know, are these rates for Kaplan or for another test prep company? How much does Kaplan pay in a city? Is the pay worthwhile? Is Princeton Review any better?

I basically need a well-paying part-time job. Does anyone have suggestions? My main qualifications is that I can teach stuff like high school science and can tutor/teach standardized tests (SAT, MCAT), and then do random work, like working in a retail shop. But I need something that is low commitment (less than a year) and part-time. Any ideas?