Insulin leads to glucose catabolism??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EK bio says that Insulin works to reduce the [Glucose] in the blood and to promote glycogenesis in liver and muscle (making glycogen).

However, I found out from several BR questions that insulin promotes the usage of glucose, so more CO2 is released via catabolism.
WHAT???????? :eek::eek:

My presumption to these BR questions is that, it happens because reducing the [Glucose] in blood means increasing the [Glucose] in the cell cytoplasm and mitochondria, so there is more catabolism???

Members don't see this ad.

EK bio says that Insulin works to reduce the [Glucose] in the blood and to promote glycogenesis in liver and muscle (making glycogen).

However, I found out from several BR questions that insulin promotes the usage of glucose, so more CO2 is released via catabolism.
WHAT???????? :eek::eek:

My presumption to these BR questions is that, it happens because reducing the [Glucose] in blood means increasing the [Glucose] in the cell cytoplasm and mitochondria, so there is more catabolism???

From what I know, insulin enhances the uptake of glucose from the blood into cell by glucose carrier, where, later, it will be used as a building block to add to glycogen chain.

On the other hand, glucagon triggers the phosphorylation and hydrolysis of glycogen, releasing glucose that will, later, be fully oxidized to CO2.

Therefore, insulin has no direct lead to the increase the oxidation of glucose.