insulin question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melomare17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so insulin is stimulated by high glucose to increase glucose uptake--does this mean in order for insulin to use up the sugar (glucose) in the blood, it needs glucose taken in the first place?

what about for glucagon--in order for glucagon to store glucose in the sugar, does it still need glucose intake?

Members don't see this ad.

so insulin is stimulated by high glucose to increase glucose uptake--does this mean in order for insulin to use up the sugar (glucose) in the blood, it needs glucose taken in the first place?
what about for glucagon--in order for glucagon to store glucose in the sugar, does it still need glucose intake?

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Insulin doesn't "use up" glucose. It binds to receptors that increase glucose permeability and uptake into cells and out of the blood.

Insulin = storage
Glucagon = consumption

Hormones don't use metabolic fuels to work; they just act as signals to stimulate changes to maintain homeostasis.

Last edited:
I second that the question needs clarification.

Glucagon causes your body to elevate its blood glucose levels. That means breaking down fats, proteins, and glycogen, using gluconeogenesis to put together more glucose, and shuttling it out of the cells and into the bloodstream.

hmm alright thanks. i think i was getting it all confused/mixed up from reading the explanation for an answer in tpr bio--but i think its all settled now thanks!