insurance billing shortcuts(blue cross, blue shield, cigna, molina, medical, et)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtran007

Pre-Pharmacy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a shortcut or cheatsheet on the insurance billing carrier and plan and what subcribe ID to enter? For example:
Medical
Carrier=MCA
plan=Default
subcriber ID: 9994882335566 + the year(08) +month(03) + day issued(27)

I'm really confused on BLUESHIELD, BLUE CROSS, Anthem blue cross, molina. I don't know what to enter for their subcriber ID because sometimes it has one letter and sometimes 4 letters.
Any other insurance shortcuts would be appreciated.

Also, vacation override and plan limitations exceeded (for example, albuterol inhaler for home and school). So you call the insurance company and then they tell how to submit the claims or what? I need help with these.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Uh, I think this is in the wrong section but anyways, the billing shortcuts differ depending on where (the pharmacy and the state) you're billing from. Anyhow, if you work at Walgreen's, just hit the button for Third Party Info and type in the name of the insurance you're looking for - then it'll give you all the info. There isn't really a cheat sheet, you'll just remember them if you see them often enough. Here's some general ones (for Walgreen's):

Blue SHIELD - CABS (subscriber ID ALWAYS starts with a J)
Blue CROSS (of CA) - BCCAL (ignore first THREE letters of subscriber ID and start with the fourth)
Anthem Blue Cross - can either be ANT or BCCAL (if you're in CA)
Medi-Cal (Medicaid of CA) - CAMED (subscriber ID is listed, followed by year (last two digits), month and date (which are always two digits)
Cigna (of CA) - CIGCA

...and yeah, that's about all I can remember at the moment

Question is way too general for anyone to answer. Like the above poster stated it would be impossible to answer this question unless we knew what state and pharmacy you worked at. Only tip would be to memorize the most common and trial and error. You will find that the majority of the time you will deal with about 4-5 insurances. Start making a sheet as you encounter them. This will help in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, I think this is in the wrong section but anyways, the billing shortcuts differ depending on where (the pharmacy and the state) you're billing from. Anyhow, if you work at Walgreen's, just hit the button for Third Party Info and type in the name of the insurance you're looking for - then it'll give you all the info. There isn't really a cheat sheet, you'll just remember them if you see them often enough. Here's some general ones (for Walgreen's):

Blue SHIELD - CABS (subscriber ID ALWAYS starts with a J)
Blue CROSS (of CA) - BCCAL (ignore first THREE letters of subscriber ID and start with the fourth)
Anthem Blue Cross - can either be ANT or BCCAL (if you're in CA)
Medi-Cal (Medicaid of CA) - CAMED (subscriber ID is listed, followed by year (last two digits), month and date (which are always two digits)
Cigna (of CA) - CIGCA

...and yeah, that's about all I can remember at the moment
thanks, I'm in California and the pharmacy is Wal-mart

what about Medco and United health

Last edited:
MOds, can you move to the right section?

medco plan ID is always : PAID and for ID number enter the number and then add: 001 for card holder, 002 for spouse, 003 for child

United Health : HNET

(at Walgreens there's a third party option key that allows you to type in bin # and PCN # which narrows down the choices and gives plan ID, and how to enter in ID #) See if your pharmacy has the same option.

thanks, I'm in California and the pharmacy is Wal-mart

what about Medco and United health

When I worked at Wal-Mart, there was an insurance book that would help you with insurance cards as far as finding carrier codes and what not. It covered just about every imaginable insurance carrier across the US. Ask your pharmacy manager, he/she should be able to tell you if that still exists.

Good luck.