Nov 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hello, I am a pre-pharmacy student and I am curious to know if there are any pharmacy specialties where I do not have to deal with any insurance issues. I am currently working as a pharmacy technician at a community pharmacy and feel that most of my time is spent revolving around insurance issues and not pharmacy itself. Any responses would be appreciated, thank you!

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Hello, I am a pre-pharmacy student and I am curious to know if there are any pharmacy specialties where I do not have to deal with any insurance issues. I am currently working as a pharmacy technician at a community pharmacy and feel that most of my time is spent revolving around insurance issues and not pharmacy itself. Any responses would be appreciated, thank you!
Hospital pharmasists don't have to deal with this issue. Actually it is probably only retail folks that have to deal with this.

Jabberwocky12

Pharmaceutical Wizard
Oct 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy

xtreem2110

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Stockton
Status
Pharmacy Student
Most insurance policies dont cover compounding pharmacy claims and it's mostly all cash. But you would have to deal with the demanding and snobby rich people...

Aug 19, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Status
Pharmacy Student
Third party issues are the bane of retail's existence, but I'm nearly positive that's where it stays. Clinical pharmacists don't worry about it.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
You'll deal with it a lot less if you work in mail order or long-term care; probably not at all with home infusion. I work for Kaiser right now; you only deal with one insurance carrier and it's much easier. If you write for a DI company (Facts & Comparisons, MicroMedex, etc.) or work as a consultant, then obviously you won't have to deal with it. Or you could open your own pharmacy and just take cash patients :D