Insurance Rate Difference for Single vs Dual Degree OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soon2beDMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is any difference in insurance premiums for oral surgeons practicing under their dental license only.

Do dual-degree oral surgeons require a higher insurance premium solely because of the MD?

Obviously our dental education doesn't include much from the business/insurance management side of things, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if there is any difference in insurance premiums for oral surgeons practicing under their dental license only.

Do dual-degree oral surgeons require a higher insurance premium solely because of the MD?

Obviously our dental education doesn't include much from the business/insurance management side of things, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

If it does, would that make you decide not to pursue a MD?!

If it does, would that make you decide not to pursue a MD?!

I think this is a legitimate question. Don't know if I ever saw this as a check option on a malpractice carrier quote but I would imagine that there are ramifications of having an MD as well as perks.

I would imagine getting bulked into "physician" by having an MD can open you up to more legality including board regulations and other current health care reform issues tied into all physicians.

Besides, if your goal is to take out 3rds and place implants all day long and stay away from hospitals and orthognathic, why get the MD if it opens you up to more risk?

Bring on the flames because this has been a hot topic before!

I think this is a legitimate question. Don't know if I ever saw this as a check option on a malpractice carrier quote but I would imagine that there are ramifications of having an MD as well as perks.

I would imagine getting bulked into "physician" by having an MD can open you up to more legality including board regulations and other current health care reform issues tied into all physicians.

Besides, if your goal is to take out 3rds and place implants all day long and stay away from hospitals and orthognathic, why get the MD if it opens you up to more risk?

Bring on the flames because this has been a hot topic before!

As far as risk of litigation goes, it makes no difference if you practice under a medical or dental license. Any practitioner performing a given procedure is held to the same standard of care.