• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

uchicago

Oct 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi, I know it has been discussed previously, but my question is basically about the personal statement for such a program; I am really interested in this program but I need like tips on how to write personal statement for the integrated program in vsc surgery. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Chakrabs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status (Visible)
Personal statements are just that - personal. Its difficult for others to tell you what you should write because its usually the hardest part of the application process. In general write about the experiences in life that made you the person you are today, what you took from those experiences, and how they've made you a) a good person and b) a strong resident, and your outlook on the future.

For you, maybe you can write about your journey from being an optometry student to applying for integrated vascular surgery programs.

uchicago

Oct 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Chakrabs; thanks for the reply. I got your point. The thing is that as you said, it is the ''hardest part of the application''. And for me, I am not used to talk about things, I rather do it, and then use my actions to translate my passion towards the specialty I am interested in. That's why I find it difficult to narrate that in words.

FYI, I am not an optometry student, I am a medical student, I know that is not what my profile says, but for some reason couldn't fix it. Anyways, thank you for the comment.

About the Ads

inc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Personal statements are just that - personal. Its difficult for others to tell you what you should write because its usually the hardest part of the application process. In general write about the experiences in life that made you the person you are today, what you took from those experiences, and how they've made you a) a good person and b) a strong resident, and your outlook on the future.
While this is all good advice, for the integrated programs (including vascular), you need to address why you've decided on an integrated route. You need to outline experiences that demonstrate how and why you know you want to do vascular (instead of switching midway through your residency), and why you believe the integrated route is the best route for you. I used the line "it's not about shortening my training, so much as focusing my training on skills I will need for my future career" during interviews, but the challenge is trying to convey that idea in the personal statement.

uchicago

Oct 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
While this is all good advice, for the integrated programs (including vascular), you need to address why you've decided on an integrated route. You need to outline experiences that demonstrate how and why you know you want to do vascular (instead of switching midway through your residency), and why you believe the integrated route is the best route for you. I used the line "it's not about shortening my training, so much as focusing my training on skills I will need for my future career" during interviews, but the challenge is trying to convey that idea in the personal statement.

Thanks for the advice. I think it is a matter of how to flavor your ambition and translate it to words.

neb85

May 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The advice I got for preparing a personal statement was to make it solid, short, and to the point. The truth is that people with exceptional experiences that translate into exceptional personal statements are quite rare amongst the ranks of already overachieving medical students. Unless you're 100% sure you fall into the latter category I would shoot towards making your PS concise and sincere rather than trying to be particularly memorable.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but here's the outline I put together when writing my personal statement for vascular. I actually used the exact same letter for GS, except I find/replaced "general surgery" for "integrated vascular surgery" (say it ain't so!). My final draft was slightly longer than one page.

By paragraph:

1. intro/anecdote about growing up enjoying technical things
2. anecdote about discovering vascular surgery during medical school
3. specific reasons why general/vascular appeals specifically to me
4. what I'm looking for in a residency program
5. why I think I'm a good fit for such a program
6. fluffy conclusion

Hope that helps. It seemed to work okay for me.

neb

coldleg

7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I actually used the exact same letter for GS, except I find/replaced "general surgery" for "integrated vascular surgery" (say it ain't so!). My final draft was slightly longer than one page.

:laugh: totally did the same. Wrote out the vascular one, find/replace "vascular" with "general."

Blue Rover

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I wouldn’t stress out too much over this. Your personal statement doesn’t have to be amazing or memorable. In fact, I would make sure it’s not memorable – no tear jerking anecdotes, no risky stories, no glaring typographical errors or grammatical issues. Just state that you want to be a vascular surgeon, and give some good (if oft repeated) reasons.

Your grades, test scores, and letters will be more heavily weighted.

uchicago

Oct 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The advice I got for preparing a personal statement was to make it solid, short, and to the point. The truth is that people with exceptional experiences that translate into exceptional personal statements are quite rare amongst the ranks of already overachieving medical students. Unless you're 100% sure you fall into the latter category I would shoot towards making your PS concise and sincere rather than trying to be particularly memorable.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but here's the outline I put together when writing my personal statement for vascular. I actually used the exact same letter for GS, except I find/replaced "general surgery" for "integrated vascular surgery" (say it ain't so!). My final draft was slightly longer than one page.

By paragraph:

1. intro/anecdote about growing up enjoying technical things
2. anecdote about discovering vascular surgery during medical school
3. specific reasons why general/vascular appeals specifically to me
4. what I'm looking for in a residency program
5. why I think I'm a good fit for such a program
6. fluffy conclusion

Hope that helps. It seemed to work okay for me.

neb

That was to the point. Thank you for the advice.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.