Integrating Pathoma and Goljan audio with Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was planning on spiral-bounding my pathoma book and following a scheme of learning where I:

1.) Watch the pathoma lectures before each block, take notes and add these to my pathoma binder
2.) Go to lecture and add any of my condensed notes not in pathoma to my pathoma binder

I'm still not sure how to integrate Goljan audios and BRS physio into the regimen but I'd appreciate any advice on how to be systematic...Problems-wise, I'll probably do Robbins Review QandA and Kaplan Qbank

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was planning on spiral-bounding my pathoma book and following a scheme of learning where I:

1.) Watch the pathoma lectures before each block, take notes and add these to my pathoma binder
2.) Go to lecture and add any of my condensed notes not in pathoma to my pathoma binder

I'm still not sure how to integrate Goljan audios and BRS physio into the regimen but I'd appreciate any advice on how to be systematic...Problems-wise, I'll probably do Robbins Review QandA and Kaplan Qbank

Thanks.

I watch Pathoma mid block. So I'll be watching one video today. I hit the gym everyday. I listen to Goljan daily but I only cover two audios per week. I listen to each one 3x. Then I read the rr book and follow along. But MS2 just started. I'm also planning to use Robbins.

I use gt too lol. Currently gt is a pain in my butt. But I love love love Goljan audio and it makes it so much easier to read thru rr

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have pathoma, goljan audio is pretty useless. And also extremely irritating to listen to.

my assumption was that pathoma = pure path....while goljan audio is highly integrative of path, pathophys, and other subjects...point being, would my time be more effective getting multiple passes at pathoma and doing probe vs. listening to goljan

I like this idea. Started Pathoma with systems last spring (MSK, neuro). We start cardio on Monday and I need a strategy. FWIW, I don't mind Goljan too much esp while driving long distances...although his jokes get old. :)

I only do Goljan because it forces me to go to the gym and I'm trying to turn a new leaf. And I like that it integrates things

Guys, lets not forget that Goljan "Poppy" was, and is still amazing. His lectures are more than enough (so I hear). At least listen to the corresponding lecture after Dr. Sattar since this last one's lectures are completely idiot-proof.

They're both awesome lecturers. The RR book may be a little over-kill. Even Goljan himself in the 1st lecture admits to all you have to do is listen attentively to his lecture and then do some questions and that if you're not doing great at that point, then read the book.

In his words: "the more you read, the higher the score. It's that simple."

They're both awesome.

Also, I've simply been doing Goljan audio from the very beginning whereas I do module specific pathoma lectures. I don't know why I've decided to do it this way but it seems to be working so far.

If you're using Pathoma, I think just listening to Goljan while you're working out is more than enough. Goljan is pretty funny but Pathoma covers it all.

Also, god damn, you guys are some gunners. MS2 just started and you're listening to Goljan and doing Pathoma?

(I'm only hating cuz I wish I had the foresight to do the same lol)

Goljan audio is for people who can't bear to spend an hour at the gym or 15 min the car without making it productive. If you're going to do Pathoma don't waste your time with Goljan. It's over a decade old and so not worth your time. Just listen to the first 10 min of the first lecture and you'll see how bloody inefficient he is compared to Dr. Sattar.

I think Goljan audio is for those who like his style (and jokes).
The book is good, but some things are in contradiction with FA. I use it successfully to supplement the things not written in FA.
Pathoma is great, but it doesn't cover genetics for ex. However, I love the way he explains things, he makes them sound so easy :)

Yeah, i think its just that med school is taught in somewhat disarticulated piece...you're given the pieces here and there...its nice to have a copy of pathoma and see exactly what the lecture is hitting at in the big picture of pathology and have this as a skeleton...after watching and annotaing pathoma, ive added just little tidbits to what my profs have said/mentioned in lecture in notes...pathoma is godly basically, so far lol

I'm kind of doing the same for pharm, using kaplan pharm except I'm also doing GT and annotating to GT online....the GT quizzes are just icing on the cake...point being its nicer to have an approach of active learning/oriented towards boards than just having random lectures