ssrnh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status
Hi guys,

Is a psychiatrist eligible to do Integrative medicine fellowship? Any input is appreciated !

maranatha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2006
Off-centered
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Best way to find out is to directly contact the programs and ask what background you need.

Doctor Grim

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Hi guys,

Is a psychiatrist eligible to do Integrative medicine fellowship? Any input is appreciated !
Do you have a program in mind? Psychiatrists are eligible for the University of Arizona program.

sunlioness

Fierce. Proud. Strong
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Those aren't traditional fellowships though. I think of a fellowship as being a job that you get paid for that involves additional training in a certain area leading to some sort of certification (or eligibility for certification) that is legally and professionally recognized. The U of Arizona program isn't like this. It's like a correspondence course that you take with occasional trips to AZ for classes. I don't know that they provide supervised clinical experiences and you're the one who pays them money. I'm not saying it isn't worthwhile, but it isn't what I consider to be a fellowship.

The only integrative medicine fellowships that are what I actually think of as fellowships are, to my knowledge, only available in family medicine. I think U Wisconsin might have one.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
as far as I know there's no board for this. So any requirements for previous residency are kinda silly and probably negotiable. If there is a board, you could try getting a waiver or something.

And as an integrative medicine supporter I feel like in terms of evidence-based and systematized approaches, the field is so much in its infancy that the main benefit of a fellowship would be the exposure. If you could get the exposure on your own, it might not be the best way to spend a year of your life.

maranatha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2006
Off-centered
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Those aren't traditional fellowships though. I think of a fellowship as being a job that you get paid for that involves additional training in a certain area leading to some sort of certification (or eligibility for certification) that is legally and professionally recognized. The U of Arizona program isn't like this. It's like a correspondence course that you take with occasional trips to AZ for classes. I don't know that they provide supervised clinical experiences and you're the one who pays them money. I'm not saying it isn't worthwhile, but it isn't what I consider to be a fellowship.

The only integrative medicine fellowships that are what I actually think of as fellowships are, to my knowledge, only available in family medicine. I think U Wisconsin might have one.
UMich also has one, but it restricted to family medicine.