intel/westinghouse/international science and eng. awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toxicgate

Receiving End of Sirens
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I just wanted to know if its right to include on your med school apps that you were a semifinalist for Intel and Westinghouse even though the research was done in high school. I’m just worried that because it was an accomplishment achieved in high school then it might not be acceptable to put in the application. On a side note, the research was done at a major university.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a finalist and I kept it off my AMCAS. You can phudge it a little because you get scholarship money for college but its a highschool award and people that know about it know its a precollege award.

I was a finalist for the Nobel Peace Prize... should I put it on my AMCAS? Maybe not since it's not really clinical in nature. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've got room, go ahead and put it on. Hopefully you've got some more research accomplishments in college to complement it, or it won't mean much.

UnskinnyBop said:
I was a finalist for the Nobel Peace Prize... should I put it on my AMCAS? Maybe not since it's not really clinical in nature. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:smuggrin:

I was always told that, once you have significant college experience, the only high school things that should stay on a resume are international (or very famous national) awards.

Semi isn't really in that category...although if you have blank space for it, you might keep it anyway.

important high school stuff should be fine to include. at one top 10 school my interviewer wanted to know specifically what i did every summer in high school, so i think if it's a major high school award then go ahead and include it. definitely include it if it served as a prelude to your college research or you have been continuing a similar project ever since.