Intense Step 1 anxiety, days before test - is this just how it is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyInquisitor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take step 1 monday and have slowly been growing increasingly terrified. I suddenly feel like I know nothing and am going to fail and I can't help but think of all the things I wanted to do but didn't end up having time for.

I am just wondering, is this how others felt before their exam? My friends have told me that you never feel prepared, but I am a little embarrassed to ask them if they felt as anxious as I do right now. I keep trying to comfort myself by reminding myself that it's just a test -- that even if I didn't finish all of UWorld or whatever, I've still been studying for months, etc. But I just feel so incredibly pressured right now. I'm trying to speed review FA with my last few days and finish up my last little chunk of sketchy vids. It's just been hard to concentrate with these horrible thoughts hanging over me.

I would greatly appreciate any advice about this. I mean it. GREATLY. At this point, every sentence I read in FA is punctuated by a little daydream about me failing, my dean disapproving of me, and me not matching anywhere and being left to live homeless in a box somewhere with $200,000 in loans to my name.

(I am a U.S. Medical student. Due to some family stuff, I had to take Step 1 little later than most, in case anyone is wondering).

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, that's how I felt too. Don't worry about it. Just try to calm yourself down as much as you can and be confident. Trust your preparation.

Felt the same. Thought the test was very difficult and that I failed. Ended up doing well

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust your NBME scores. The real thing will feel a little different, so don't let that throw you. You know more than you think. It's one day of your life, just go in there and do your very best. I felt terrible in the days leading up to it and felt terrible during it and got 1 point about my target score. You can do it! :claps:

I know it's ridiculous, but just seeing that others felt the same has made me feel a lot better.

Unfortunately, I stopped taking NBME's after I was hitting 220. I'd get really worked up before taking them and I felt that I'd rather spend that 1/2 a day cramming stuff into my brain instead. In hindsight, it would have been nice to have my true goal score under my belt on an NBME. At least I've got something above passing to hang on to though.

Thank you.