Intensity in EM and Mechanical waves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

September24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for mechanical and EM waves, I know that intensity if related to to Energy right always?

However, how do frequency and and amplitude influence EM and mechanical waves. For some reason, Kaplan says that EM waves dont change when frequency changes. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

thats very vague if they simply said that EM waves dont change if frequency changes...

EM waves follow the rule v= f lambda. it is true that the velocity of the waves wont change as long as you remain in the same medium HOWEVER, we know from the photoelectric effect (E=hf), that different frequencies of light possess varying amounts of energy.

i think you'll need to be a little more specific with your question

Well, im not really wondering if EM change with frequency. I'm mainly concerned about what changes Intensity

What factors influence EM and Mechanical wave intensity.

Well, im not really wondering if EM change with frequency. I'm mainly concerned about what changes Intensity

What factors influence EM and Mechanical wave intensity.

Intensity is related to amplitude. Energy of a wave is related to frequency. EM and mechanical waves are very different by nature, but that's the basic gist.