idkididk

7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2012
Status
Medical Student
So I'm 1 course away from completing a minor in Biology. My two top choices are Intensive Genetics and Biochemistry I. Would taking one or the other be more beneficial to me when applying for med school? Also I'll be taking these courses AFTER I take the MCATS, if that's a factor.

Pros/Cons of each
*I've always liked genetics. The course is suppose to be pretty easy at my school, so potential GPA booster. No lab portion. No cons really.
*I hear that it's highly recommended to take biochem before starting med school. Partly because a lot of med schools recommend it and partly because you'll gain exposure to biochem before med school. However, there is a 4 hour lab portion that's suppose to be brutal. The course itself is not easy either..

I'm kind of leaning towards genetics right now mostly because I would not enjoy that 4 hour lab at all.. but I want to hear your thoughts!

am0912

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2013
Ohio
Status
Medical Student
I would honestly recommend taking both at some point during your UG (unless intensive genetics means you already took an intro genetics course). Both are extremely important subject areas to have a foundation in, especially if you haven't taken the MCAT yet.

OP
idkididk

idkididk

7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I have a pretty strict curriculum in biomedical engineering, so I would have to overload my schedule to be able to take both. Not saying that I haven't considered it, but with senior project, volunteering work, and upper level engineering course I don't know if it's a good idea

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student
Biochem taught me a lot of really bread and butter science that I still use in the lab. I think it is incredibly useful. Just go in knowing you will get in the B+ to A range with some hard work. I would suggest biochem

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
I would honestly recommend taking both at some point during your UG (unless intensive genetics means you already took an intro genetics course). Both are extremely important subject areas to have a foundation in, especially if you haven't taken the MCAT yet.
Dude it's one thing to say something is a requirement and another thing to say it'll help. Genetics isn't a requirement for nearly all schools (except for JHU). However, biochem is. So, OP, you should probably take biochem.

Reactions: listener23
Apr 12, 2012
Earth
Status
Non-Student
Both are useful for medical school, but it is my understanding that many M1 classes are biochem heavy so I would choose biochem if you can only take one.

OP
idkididk

idkididk

7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, that's my understanding as well. I do plan on taking a gap year so hopefully the knowledge won't leak out of head too quickly