Intent Letters??? Please read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedApp2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I don't understand all this talk about intent letters or what not.

I thought you only sent these letters if you were waitlisted?? Seems like people are sending them after interviews, but pre-decision.

Do you really send a letter to your first choice school before you hear anything from them? Seems a little odd to me. I can't imagine that they would care all that much if they were going to reject you, so shouldn't you wait to see if you are waitlisted, then send a letter?

Basically here is my dilemma. I interviewed last week at what I am 90% sure is my top choice. So should I write and tell them?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should send a letter of intent (saying your school is my #1 choice and if accepted I will withdraw all other applications) unless you are 100% sure that the school is your first choice. But, I think you can send them a letter of interest (your school is one of my top choices, and if accepted I will most likely attend your school rather than any others I'm accepted to). I just interviewed at a school I am 99.999999% sure I would attend over any other school. The only scenario in which I would go to another school is if I received an outrageous financial aid package. However, I think my odds of receiving any decent financial aid are so slim (I'm making too much money this year and I have way too much in the way of assets), I am willing to forego that possibility and send a letter of intent. BTW, I consider letters of intent technically legally binding, but they are broken in the legal community all of the time, and as a practical matter I could not imagine any real legal ramifications if you broke your promise. Nevertheless, I would imagine you could experience some potential problems as a result (i.e. word could get out that you broke your promise and other schools could lose interest or see it as an ethical violation).

Originally posted by Camden772
BTW, I consider letters of intent technically legally binding, but they are broken in the legal community all of the time, and as a practical matter I could not imagine any real legal ramifications if you broke your promise. Nevertheless, I would imagine you could experience some potential problems as a result (i.e. word could get out that you broke your promise and other schools could lose interest or see it as an ethical violation).
I think this can and does cause problems with AMCAS. At the very least, I would kiss your residency chances at the school goodbye.