Interest in Med-Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post. So, if there is somewhere that would be better - please let me know.

I am a 1st year osteopathic medical student and am really interested in learning more about med-peds and possibly doing a residency in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to learn more about this combined residency option during pre-clinical years? And are there any suggestions for things that I should be doing to make myself competitive in the future for this residency (or at least just to actively express my interest in the specialties)?

Thanks so much!
Good luck to everyone preparing for residency interviews this fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@LuluMed , thanks for your interest in the specialty! There are many ways to get involved with Med-Peds and to learn more about the specialty. I would say your first resource is the National Med-Peds Residents' Association (www.medpeds.org). You should look on the section for medical students there and also sign up for the listserv. That is the best source of information. Other ways to learn more about this is to reach out to alumni of your program who have gone down that specialty route or you can contact program directors/residents of any of the existing Med-Peds programs and they will also be able to guide you. In terms of your competitiveness the best people to refer to are advisors at your school. Generally Med-Peds folks are involved in many extracurricular activities, leadership, research. Each person comes to the table with something different so I would suggest finding your niche and build upon it! Good luck!

@LuluMed , thanks for your interest in the specialty! There are many ways to get involved with Med-Peds and to learn more about the specialty. I would say your first resource is the National Med-Peds Residents' Association (www.medpeds.org). You should look on the section for medical students there and also sign up for the listserv. That is the best source of information. Other ways to learn more about this is to reach out to alumni of your program who have gone down that specialty route or you can contact program directors/residents of any of the existing Med-Peds programs and they will also be able to guide you. In terms of your competitiveness the best people to refer to are advisors at your school. Generally Med-Peds folks are involved in many extracurricular activities, leadership, research. Each person comes to the table with something different so I would suggest finding your niche and build upon it! Good luck!

I'm also a first year osteopathic med student, and I just started looking into this field because of my combined interest in peds and internal med. Unfortunately, I am at a newer school so we don't have any alumni to reach out to. Would it be possible to contact any other DOs who went this route?