interest in neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyomama88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I find the Peripheral nervous system relatively boring, but the CNS exciting...Do you think I will enjoy neurology as a specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

If I find the Peripheral nervous system relatively boring, but the CNS exciting...Do you think I will enjoy neurology as a specialty?

We posted the same thing. LOL

Albeit, mine was wordier and more angst-ridden. :D

gopens67, you aren't the only one that finds the peripheral nervous system boring. It is cumbersome to learn and the pathology is not as exciting. However, just because you don't like the PNS, doesn't mean you can't like neurology. I love neurology, but I'm not a big fan of the PNS. During my interviews I remember program directors asking what I loved about the field - I always responded that I loved the CNS and the thought process that goes into localization. And when asked about the PNS, I would say honestly that it wasn't as exciting. I was surprised to find that many program directors agreed with me. Thus, you're not the only one.

The truth is that you don't need love the PNS to love neurology. However, you can't become a good neurologist without mastering it. The best neurologists know everything about the CNS & PNS. Hope this helps.