Interest In PM&R and residency chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Admiralk83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Genuine desire to do PM&R is probably as important as all the other minutiae beyond grades and LOR. Programs want people who want to be physiatrists, not people who couldn't get into something else so PM&R is their back-up plan.

222 is good, it shows you stepped up to the plate and can do well. Apply to as many prgrams as you reasonable can, depending on what you want - top tier only vs middle, small vs large program, any travel restrictions such as monetary as well as what the program does and doesn't train you in. Interviews suck, but too many is better than not enough. You don't want to apply to every program, but is 10 enough, or 20? Not sure. Make an appt with your Dean. (Maybe he's even heard of PM&R ;))

I know someone who matched this past March with Step I and II scores similar to yours at one of the 10 most "desirable" (most talked about) programs on this forum. She told me that genuine enthusiasm for the field through activities and on interview day goes just as far as numbers, just like PMR 4 MSK was saying. She also got interviews at most of the places she applied to if I remember correctly. Best of luck!