interest rate on private loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a reasonable interest rate on private loans? Most that I have found are around 5%, and some go to 4.8% at lowest, but this still seems too high. Is this about the average?

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to check out T.H.E. at www.northstar.org
Alternative loans are based on the 3 month LIBOR + 2.5% or 2.7% (w/o a cosigner). This works out to 3.78% / 4.03% (no cosigner). Current LIBOR, T-Bill, Prime Rate, etc. are available at www.bankrate.com

Also Medloans (AAMC website) adverstises Alternative loans at prime + 0%, which would currently be 4.25%

Note that some of these rates may change July 1.

Hope that helps.

Are you talking about the T.H.E. private loans? If so, I qualified for 4.78% with excellent credit (with a cosigner). Is there another loan out there for 3.78%?

I quoted you the rates I got online at www.northstar.org. T.H.E. Private loans were listed as the 3 month LIBOR+2.5% (w/cosigner). Both T.H.E. and Wall Street Journal quote the 3 month LIBOR (ending 6/30/03) as 1.28%. That's where I got 3.78%.

These rates are for private (alternative) loans taken while in med school. Undergrad and other program rates will prolly vary.