Interested in applying to equal emphasis Ph.D. but no clinical experience!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmorepsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interested in applying to equal-emphasis clinical Ph.D. programs in 2012 but I am concerned about my lack of clincial experience. I will have had a very good amount of research experience AS WELL as lots of great neuropsych and social cognitive per-diem testing experience but that doesn't really count as clinical right?

It's been really difficult for me to find a volunteer clinical experience that I can engage in during the weekends or after normal work hours on weekdays. What do you think? Do I need to make sure I get this in before applying? Is a volunteer hotline enough? Is it better to take a year after my research job ends and engage in some heavy clinical work before applying?

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that is not a big deal. In my experience, the only people who come into a PhD program with substantial clinical experience are people who have already acquired some clinical degree (MA, MSW, etc) beforehand. There are simply not many opportunities nor clinical supervisors willing to take on untrained individuals without the support of a graduate program as their license is on the line in the event of a mishap. I entered grad school directly from undergrad and only had some volunteer crisis line experience. I doubt many programs will hold this against you.

You don't need it. It's not bad if you have it, of course, but it's certainly not a requirement. Research experience and, even better, pubs, are far more important for a PhD program.