Interested in Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uvaGirL07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Sylvia. :smuggrin: hehe

I'm actually a premed student and I have been practically ever since I was born. I never really looked into any other careers because I always believed I'd become a physician. However, I wanted to be a little more open-minded before I actually begin applying to schools and such.

I was wondering... WHEN is the DAT administered in the year?? I couldn't find any dates. Also, are the tests computer-based or paper-based? Or both? And also... what are the sections of the DAT and how are they scored? What's a good score?

Oh! and also... what's the difference between the MCAT and the DAT? For example... if I study for biology, organic chemistry, and inorganic chemistry from MCAT books, is that not going to be helpful? Are the subjects tested differently?

Thank you so much~~!! :love:

- Sylvia

Members don't see this ad.

uvaGirL07 said:

I'm actually a premed student and I have been practically ever since I was born. I never really looked into any other careers because I always believed I'd become a physician. However, I wanted to be a little more open-minded before I actually begin applying to schools and such.

I was wondering... WHEN is the DAT administered in the year?? I couldn't find any dates. Also, are the tests computer-based or paper-based? Or both? And also... what are the sections of the DAT and how are they scored? What's a good score?

Oh! and also... what's the difference between the MCAT and the DAT? For example... if I study for biology, organic chemistry, and inorganic chemistry from MCAT books, is that not going to be helpful? Are the subjects tested differently?

- Sylvia

you can take the dat almost any day of the year...it's computer based...the subjects are bio, chem, orgo, quantative reasoning, and perceptual ability...studying from mcats books will help..except the questions on the dat aren't passage based..19 is usually an AVERAGE score of many schools...any more questions?

uvaGirL07 said:

- Sylvia

You can take it pretty much any day. You schedule it yourself after you pay. It's computer-based. Um, the sections - Bio, GChem, OChem, Reading Comp, Quantitative Reasoning and the PAT. The highest possible score is 30 on each section. Go here, it has pretty much all you need to know. http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/index.asp#overview Or this is good too --- http://www.kaptest.com And yes, studying MCAT books would probably be helpful. That may over prepare you though - not a bad thing.

The DAT questions test on similar material to the MCAT, but the way the questions are worded is different, so it's best to look at a DAT test prep program or book to see how the test looks. Also, Perceptual Ability is a completely unique DAT test to the MCAT and it requires both a natural ability, or lots and lots of test taking and training.