Interested in going to medical school, what are your suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristhealpha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have received my B.S. in Kinesiology with a lowly 2.96 Undergrad GPA. I am now working on my Masters in Kinesiology and have about a year left to go. I am also in the ROTC program to become a U.S. Army Reserve officer. I have not taken any pre-reqs but am planning to do so this upcoming Fall Qtr. I also have not taken the MCAT yet. My questions to you folks are:

1. Should I even bother trying to apply to Med school with a 2.96 undergrad GPA?
1A. I know MD schools are a long shot, so should I strictly focus on applying to DO programs?
2. Should I apply to a Post bac. program that has the necessary pre-reqs. to get into med school, or take them at a local community college?
3. Would my military career boost my chances of becoming accepted in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

1. You cannot matriculate until all of your prerequisites are complete. Those are two semesters of general biology, chemistry, physics and organic chemistry, all with labs. In addition to those, some schools tack on biochemistry, stats, calculus, etc. as prerequisites. Most people don't apply until they complete them. If you do post-bacc work, that GPA will go up. You wouldn't really have a chance with your current GPA.
1A. Retake all D/F coursework and apply to DO schools when you get your MCAT scores.
2. Post bacc would be best.
3. I'm not certain, but I don't see why it would help. Unless you were enlisted prior, you don't really have a career. You are yet to be commissioned.

You need to take all other factors into consideration, as well. These are ECs, volunteering, letters of recommendation, shadowing and other clinical exposure.

You need to do a post bac and kill it and kill the mcat with that gpa. I wouldnt count on the millitary to help you get in. I would say to do the pre reqs wherever. Focus on do

No
1. Should I even bother trying to apply to Med school with a 2.96 undergrad GPA?

yes, but you still need the pre-reqs and to get that GPA > 3.0
1A. I know MD schools are a long shot, so should I strictly focus on applying to DO programs?

Either one will suffice.
2. Should I apply to a Post bac. program that has the necessary pre-reqs. to get into med school, or take them at a local community college?

Yes
3. Would my military career boost my chances of becoming accepted in med school?