• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Interested in Health Economics

AKPsiMD84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello, I am interested in studying Health Economics and would like some advice about entering that particular arena of study and what would be the best way to approach this.

-Is there an MPH specialty in Economics?
-Should I go back and do an Econ undergrad?
-Should I go to grad school for Economics?
-What are my chances to jump to an Economics graduate program without a business background?
etc.

Please help!

aelizabeth

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I am not sure about an MPH in health economics, but it seems to me that you would be best served by a economics program.
What was your undergraduate major? (was it remotely quantitative?) I don't know why you need a business background for economics. I would say math would be a lot more important for econ.
Depending on how quantitative your undergrad was, how well you did and where you went (I think probably in that order) you should choose schools to apply to (for graduate programs) wisely.

I just had the thought that maybe a Public Policy school would be a good match. I know the one at the University I attend has a very economically-inclined policy program, which includes a health policy concentration.

Good luck!

erikw

10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2008
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Health econ is something that ppl usually do their Ph.Ds in. Most schools of public healths offer health economic programs at the doctorate level and a lot of exposure to health econ at the masters level as well. It's a lot of math and econ so you should have a pretty solid background in those areas.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.