Interested in internal medicine... Good or bad to mention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r4y

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in specializing in internal medicine. Is it okay to mention this in my secondaries? I'm just a little nervous because people always say to not mention specific specialities

Members don't see this ad.

Specializing in internal medicine? Sounds like an oxymoron unless you intend to subspecialize.

I'm under the impression that med schools are looking for people who are interested in primary care, so it's probably worth mentioning if you fall into that category. I could be wrong though.

he's technically right it just sounds weird when you refer to "generalist" type specialties that mostly prepare you to be a PCP of some type as specializing, but it is

you specialize in Peds, FM, IM, it's all legit lingo

when you match to any categorical program you have just specialized

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in specializing in internal medicine. Is it okay to mention this in my secondaries? I'm just a little nervous because people always say to not mention specific specialities

the thing is, most students, even med students, don't really know what differentiates medicine from other generalist fields, so while expressing an interest in being a general practitioner, a broad field, or going into primary care or hospital based medicine (if you have *that* experience) all makes sense to me for a student at your level, at this stage of the game I'm wondering why you're singling out IM, and doubt that you can answer the question sufficiently well, unless you knew you wanted to subspecialize, but in that case you would list that and the fact you gotta go through IM to get there is a given.

so I'm scratching my head here

what do you think IM is? why?

It's fine if you have a specific reason and have already been exposed to the environment. For instance I know EMS premeds and med students with an EMS background who want to do EM but it's because they have already lived it and loved it. If you haven't really had hands on with a field of medicine and are just choosing it because it sounds nice then yes, you should avoid talking about that.

You can say you have an interest. But also say something to the effect of keeping an open mind or interested to explore other fields. Don't be that guy who is gung-ho neurosurgeon in AMCAS and interviews and then realizes it's not what they expected once they actually see what it is. You more than likely don't know yet what really goes into being a hospitalist or a primary care doc, and maybe you'll find something you like a lot more. Basically it's fine to say you have an interest in a specialty, but don't pigeon-hole yourself into that from the get-go. Most med students change their minds multiple times.

Specializing in internal medicine? Sounds like an oxymoron unless you intend to subspecialize.

I'm under the impression that med schools are looking for people who are interested in primary care, so it's probably worth mentioning if you fall into that category. I could be wrong though.

Yes, you specialize in internal medicine.

Not all med schools are primary care focused (IM, FM, peds, ob-gyn), and even those that are don't expect to only pump out primary care docs.

the thing is, most students, even med students, don't really know what differentiates medicine from other generalist fields, so while expressing an interest in being a general practitioner, a broad field, or going into primary care or hospital based medicine (if you have *that* experience) all makes sense to me for a student at your level, at this stage of the game I'm wondering why you're singling out IM, and doubt that you can answer the question sufficiently well, unless you knew you wanted to subspecialize, but in that case you would list that and the fact you gotta go through IM to get there is a given.

so I'm scratching my head here

what do you think IM is? why?
I shadowed multiple physicians for 100+ hours who did IM and work in ICU and I have been a hospital volunteer for about a year. I really enjoy the hospital environment and can honestly see myself wanting to do this as a physician in the future. Not sure if that's enough experience though. I know anything can change and I'll keep an open perspective, but as of now I really like the idea of IM with a possible sub-specialization so I can work clinical floors in the hospital.

For those experts out there, how many sub-specialties branch off from an Internal Medicine Residency?

I think it is legit to say that you are interested in treating adults and you are interested in a field that is non-surgical so internal medicine seems to fit the bill, but neurology could be another option. Maybe you are also into long term relationships with patients that includes preventive services as well as longitudinal care of chronic conditions as well as acute conditions which leads you to internal medicine as a logical choice. That would be reasonable to me. It is more "why" you are choosing that field and the why shouldn't be that it is the only specialty you shadowed and you love it or that 4 generations of your family have practiced that specialty and you would not consider anything else.