Interested in international medicine, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andy911

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on medical schools that are great at preparing students for international/humanitarian work. I am currently in the process of finishing secondaries (I know, it's a little late :(). I didn't take the MCAT until the end of August and submitted my AMCAS in early October. I applied to Columbia because a friend of mine told me that they have great international programs and was wondering if any of you could suggest any other schools that have good programs. I know the deadline's passed for many schools but Id still like to know. Thanks. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Tulane has a good tropical med program, and Case Western also has one, in Papua New Guinea, I think. Also, at ANY school you can choose to do some international rotations through IFMSA.

I believe USF and UM provide some amazing opportunities for international medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really worried about humanitarian work, you'll probably want to keep your tuition fees down. Most schools allow you to spend a summer as well as a few elective rotations in other countries. The more student loan debt you have, the more time it will take you to fulfill that goal (unless you get some outside funding).

UMiami is well known for our international work.

As far as funding goes...you will be quite suprised how far donations and fundraising will take you. I didn't pay a single dollar when I went abroad because people were so incredibly generous with their donations, once they find out what you are doing, they are so excited to be involved.

Harvard also has a program in Haiti (along with UMiami) if you're looking for ivy league schools.