All Branch Topic (ABT) Interested in military residency, not enrolled in HPSP. Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InsertMemberNameHere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a 3rd year medical student about to begin my clinical rotations at a US allopathic medical school. I want to serve in the military, but I am not enrolled in HSPS. I am looking into FAP, but I would prefer to match into a military residency.

Is it possible to match into a military residency program without being enrolled in HSPS or to enroll in HSPS as a third year? Is it possible to match into a military residency program through FAP? Is there any way I can sign-up/begin the process of joining the military as a 3rd year medical student and participate in the military match?

I am most interested in serving in the Army for a variety of reasons that I have collected from this board and people I have spoken to. Additionally, I am most interested in Internal Medicine.

I have searched this board and read through the FAQs, but I would like a little bit more specific and updated answers to this particular question. The recruiter I spoke with didn't know much about my questions pertaining to military residency.

I generally understand all of the pros/cons of military residencies, the different branches, as well as military medicine in general, and I am mainly looking for advice for the best path to forward given my preferences (military residency, Army, Internal Medicine) and current status (3rd year medical student, not currently enrolled in HSPS).

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently a 3rd year medical student about to begin my clinical rotations at a US allopathic medical school. I want to serve in the military, but I am not enrolled in HSPS. I am looking into FAP, but I would prefer to match into a military residency.

Is it possible to match into a military residency program without being enrolled in HSPS or to enroll in HSPS as a third year? Is it possible to match into a military residency program through FAP? Is there any way I can sign-up/begin the process of joining the military as a 3rd year medical student and participate in the military match?

I am most interested in serving in the Army for a variety of reasons that I have collected from this board and people I have spoken to. Additionally, I am most interested in Internal Medicine.

I have searched this board and read through the FAQs, but I would like a little bit more specific and updated answers to this particular question. The recruiter I spoke with didn't know much about my questions pertaining to military residency.

I generally understand all of the pros/cons of military residencies, the different branches, as well as military medicine in general, and I am mainly looking for advice for the best path to forward given my preferences (military residency, Army, Internal Medicine) and current status (3rd year medical student, not currently enrolled in HSPS).

Thank you very much.

It would be hard to do so. Truth is: we don't have enough residency spots for all the HPSP and USUhs students, as is. So they get first dibs.

Do FAP as a civilian resident, or do a civilian residency on your own and then join (either active-duty Or as a reservist), those are really your main options

It would be hard to do so. Truth is: we don't have enough residency spots for all the HPSP and USUhs students, as is. So they get first dibs.

Do FAP as a civilian resident, or do a civilian residency on your own and then join (either active-duty Or as a reservist), those are really your main options

Have you are anyone heard of applying for an Exception to Policy (ETP) to go through the JSGME military match? Apparently this could be a way, but I can't find much information about it.

Based on the information from the 2016 Army match, it looks like Internal Medicine has less applicants than spots for 5 years in a row: http://www.amsus.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/ArmyStudentWebinar_April2016.pdf

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you are anyone heard of applying for an Exception to Policy (ETP) to go through the JSGME military match? Apparently this could be a way, but I can't find much information about it.

Based on the information from the 2016 Army match, it looks like Internal Medicine has less applicants than spots for 5 years in a row: http://www.amsus.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/ArmyStudentWebinar_April2016.pdf

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure the BUMEDNOTE 1524 explains application procedures for civilian applicants (or at least mentions it) for Navy; however, the chance of being selected is extremely low in my opinion and probably zero for anything somewhat competitive.

In regards to applicants/spots that doesn't necessarily mean the spots went unfilled or that there is excess capacity waiting to be filled.

If you're interested then I would apply, the worst they do is say no, and that would happen several months before the ERAS match.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm pretty sure the BUMEDNOTE 1524 explains application procedures for civilian applicants (or at least mentions it) for Navy; however, the chance of being selected is extremely low in my opinion and probably zero for anything somewhat competitive.

In regards to applicants/spots that doesn't necessarily mean the spots went unfilled or that there is excess capacity waiting to be filled.

If you're interested then I would apply, the worst they do is say no, and that would happen several months before the ERAS match.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thank you very much.

The BUMEDNOTE 1524 published in June 2017 does mention application to the JSGMESB for civilians. Here is what it says:

"Civilian physicians and reserve medical officers may be considered for Navy GME training. Civilian applicants must meet all requirements for initial appointment to Active Duty as a Medical Corps officer and be approved for commissioning prior to applying to the JSGMESB. Civilian applicants should contact the Medical Corps Career Planner, at telephone number (703) 681-8937, prior to submitting an application for Navy-sponsored GME training. Reserve officers must be eligible and be approved by PERS-9 for recall to Active Duty in the Navy Medical Corps prior to submitting an application for Navy-sponsored GME. Selection of civilians and reserve medical officers is contingent upon manning needs and availability of training positions after all qualified Active Duty applicants have been placed."

Link: https://www.med.navy.mil/directives/ENotes/NOTE 1524.pdf

I'm going to look into this option a little more. Thank you very much for your help.

If anyone else has any knowledge pertaining to this topic (current 3rd year medical student not enrolled in HPSP but interested in a military residency), please let me know.

I found something about Air Force letting civilian applicants apply through their military match through an Exception to Policy application, but 1) I can't find much else about that, and 2) I know that Air Force sends a higher % of HPSP students through civilian residencies, anyway. So Army and Navy might be the best options for me, if they are even possible.

Thank you.

Edit: Just spoke with an Air Force medical officer recruiter. The only way into AF residencies is through HPSP. They do offer 2 year HPSP scholarships, but they are limited and you have to submit your paperwork pretty early the summer before your 3rd year of medical school. A 2 year HPSP scholarship through Air Force still requires a minimum of 3 years active duty requirement.

Navy could be the best route for me to go if I want to do a military residency. Navy offers 2 year HPSP scholarships and sometimes even 1 year HPSP, depending on their need. I will have to see.

I'll let y'all know what other information I find. If you have any knowledge pertaining to this topic or would like to offer any thoughts, please let me know. Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack thread but I have a semi-related question.

Let's say a particular military residency is 4 years. If a newly graduated medical student does a transitional year or a specialty-specific intern year, does that intern year (followed by GMO) count towards those 4 years of residency and so one could start as PGY2 after GMO tour? Thank you!

I don't want to hijack thread but I have a semi-related question.

Let's say a particular military residency is 4 years. If a newly graduated medical student does a transitional year or a specialty-specific intern year, does that intern year (followed by GMO) count towards those 4 years of residency and so one could start as PGY2 after GMO tour? Thank you!
It depends on the residency and the pgy1.
Most specialties have their own intern year now, so unless you do a pgy1 in that specialty you'll have to do another intern year. So things like derm or rads, you can have any pgy1.

So gen surg pgy1 to gmo, now wanting to do EM will have to repeat intern.

FM pgy1 to gmo who goes derm won't need to repeat pgy1

Thank you very much.

The BUMEDNOTE 1524 published in June 2017 does mention application to the JSGMESB for civilians. Here is what it says:

Link: https://www.med.navy.mil/directives/ENotes/NOTE 1524.pdf

I'm going to look into this option a little more. Thank you very much for your help.

If anyone else has any knowledge pertaining to this topic (current 3rd year medical student not enrolled in HPSP but interested in a military residency), please let me know.

I found something about Air Force letting civilian applicants apply through their military match through an Exception to Policy application, but 1) I can't find much else about that, and 2) I know that Air Force sends a higher % of HPSP students through civilian residencies, anyway. So Army and Navy might be the best options for me, if they are even possible.

Thank you.

Edit: Just spoke with an Air Force medical officer recruiter. The only way into AF residencies is through HPSP. They do offer 2 year HPSP scholarships, but they are limited and you have to submit your paperwork pretty early the summer before your 3rd year of medical school. A 2 year HPSP scholarship through Air Force still requires a minimum of 3 years active duty requirement.

Navy could be the best route for me to go if I want to do a military residency. Navy offers 2 year HPSP scholarships and sometimes even 1 year HPSP, depending on their need. I will have to see.

I'll let y'all know what other information I find. If you have any knowledge pertaining to this topic or would like to offer any thoughts, please let me know. Thank you.

I believe while the other services might offer short scholarships the minimum payback is still the same across the board, FYI.

They do open slots that do not fill by HPSP or USUHS grads for civilians to match. However it is very rare that a slot in ENT would be open. They match them through the SOAP application. Most of those who match serve as a DOD civilian or VA doctor once they finish but you could apply for reserve or active as well if you matched.

Some programs have "hidden" VA spots such as TAMC IM. Shows up on ERAS, but no one knows that it's there. Usually filled by spouses.

Reactions: 1 user
I am fairly certain that you cannot join HPSP as a current 3 year. They offer 4 and 3 year scholarships. They use to have 2 year scholarships but I think those have gone away. If you wanted to enter a military residency it would likely not be involved in the match. The way I've seen it done is by someone having already completed an intern year as a civilian, then join the military first and then "scramble" into a residency slot an unfilled PGY-2 slot. There are a lot of variables there and I think it's slim to get a military residency outside of doing HPSP or USU. Otherwise join through FAP or other reserve programs after having completed a civilian residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Some programs have "hidden" VA spots such as TAMC IM. Shows up on ERAS, but no one knows that it's there. Usually filled by spouses.

I was interviewed at TAMC but I don't think they ranked me as that was my number one, and I didn't match...