Interested in Negative Aspects of Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bridaddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been posting a couple of questions on here about my interest in persuing a fellowship in endocrinology after my residency, and so far the information has been great!

To fully understand what I might be getting myself into however, I wanted to see the flip side.

For all of those people who considered Endocrinology and decided against it, I'm curious what turned you off about it?

When compared to other IM residencies, what is it about Endo that is "bad" in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a lowly M1 myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm also interested in endocrinology and have done some reading on it.

Possible Negatives:

1. Lower salary than other IM subspecialties. I've even read one place that it would be even lower than a general internist. I don't know how much truth there is to that though.

2. Lack of procedures. This is related to #1. If you absolutely must work with your hands and perform technical procedures then endo is probably not right for you. They only do thyroid biopsies as far as I know.

3. You generally work with a select few diseases for the majority of your practice. These being diabetes and thyroid disorders.

For those of you with much more knowledge than me please feel free to correct any of these if they are incorrect.

From a website that someone referred to me, this appears to be the salaries for 1-2 years, 3 years, and max:

$171,000 $187,000 $260,000

Which is a bit higher than just internal medicine.

Just treating diabetics would be fine with me, lord knows they need help. We'll see what I end up with though, but it is fun to dream :)