Interested in Otolaryngology?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ashasnarf, Feb 11, 2002.

1. ashasnarf

ashasnarf Member

I have recently been accepted to medical school and my past experiences in medicine have me leaning toward ENT (Otolaryngology) as a field I would like to practice. I have heard that ENT is an extremely competitive field to get into, and was wondering why? What kind og grades and USMLE scores does one have to achieve to get in? Please tell me what additional factors one should consider when going after the really competitive fields? Is AOA designation and research a must? What about letters of recc, whom should you get them from when the time is appropriate. I am inquiring because I would like to begin building a competitive application for such residencies! Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    ENT is extremely competitive because of the variety of surgical procedures, good pay and lifestyle (ie, for a surgical specialty you have relatively little call, often home call and better hours). But I'll move this over to Rotations and Residencies Forum where it might get more responses...