VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
hey guys,

i just wanted to ask you guys on the allo forum for some advice. i am interested in doing a peds residency and then sub-specializing. i know that it's early and everything, and my choice of residency will probably change, but i would appreciate the advice nonetheless. right now i am deciding between UChicago, UT Southwestern and baylor. i am also waiting to hear from a couple of other places. i really loved uchicago but everyone is telling me that UTSW and baylor are better programs. do you think there is a huge difference between the three? i am not too keen in being in TX.

thank you!

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
uchicago is an excellent medical school. plus peds isn't particularly competitive. don't worry about your choice of schools, you'll do just fine. good luck.

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I'm a third year planning to apply for peds. If you liked UChicago best as a medical school, I'd say go there. It's not a "top 10" peds program, but it's generally considered 2nd in the city behind Northwestern Children's Memorial - which is perfectly fine. As you probably know they have a brand-new standalone children's hospital which should be cool to be in. :)

Rotating through Texas Children's would be an excellent experience - but if you don't like Texas, it's not worth it. Residency interviews do have a regional bias (albeit less so for peds, being less competitive) and you may well find yourself changing your mind. A lot of people get very turned off outpatient peds.

For my part, I'm at Temple and didn't even rotate during my clerkship at a place with a residency program. Looking at the match lists though, I don't think it makes too much difference. We've had matches at CHOP (#1-2 peds hospital in the country - I'm sure the regional aspect helps there), Children's Memorial and UCSF. I'd sure love to be as fortunate!