interested in psych but not sure about psychotherapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zac16125

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year medical student thinking about going into psychiatry. I loved my psych rotation, however, it was at a crisis center and consisted of mostly quick diagnoses and pharmacotherapy treatments. I was exposed to no real psychotherapy, a little group therapy but nothing with the physicians. Both psychiatrist I worked with had a significant private practice where they did alot of psychotherapy, but our rotation was strictly at the crisis unit so we were not exposed to it. So the problem I'm having is that since I know nothing about psychotherapy what if I choose to do a psych residency and end up not really liking the therapy aspect. Are there psychiatrist jobs available where the doc doesn't really do therapy sessions but does more pharm based treatments on a larger number of patients, compared to spending a long time in therapy with a smaller number of patients? I'm finding it very difficult to choose which residency to apply to, having only been exposed to 1 month of pysch, and don't want to box myself into something I end up not enjoying in the long run. Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there psychiatrist jobs available where the doc doesn't really do therapy sessions but does more pharm based treatments on a larger number of patients, compared to spending a long time in therapy with a smaller number of patients?

This is kinda of a funny question in the fact that the opposite of this question is frequently the problem for students--i.e. "I like psychiatry, but want to make sure I can do therapy." The simple answer is that a large majority of psychiatrists are not actively doing therapy. In fact, most places that hire you will expect you to be the medical/psychiatric/pharmacology/diagnostic expert on a mental health team rather then a therapist.

If you decide on psychiatry and end up deciding not doing therapy, it is still imperative that you learn as much about therapy as you can. It will help you no matter what you do on multiple levels. At a minimum, it will help you in your interactions with patients and will make you a better psychiatrist, even if you decide to just do medication management. But further then that, it will help you be a leader of a multidisciplinary team where it will be expected that you know the difference between a crappy and good quality therapist. You also need to be able to refer your patients to the proper type of therapy.

Best of luck on your decision!

I'm a 3rd year medical student thinking about going into psychiatry. I loved my psych rotation, however, it was at a crisis center and consisted of mostly quick diagnoses and pharmacotherapy treatments. I was exposed to no real psychotherapy, a little group therapy but nothing with the physicians. Both psychiatrist I worked with had a significant private practice where they did alot of psychotherapy, but our rotation was strictly at the crisis unit so we were not exposed to it. So the problem I'm having is that since I know nothing about psychotherapy what if I choose to do a psych residency and end up not really liking the therapy aspect. Are there psychiatrist jobs available where the doc doesn't really do therapy sessions but does more pharm based treatments on a larger number of patients, compared to spending a long time in therapy with a smaller number of patients? I'm finding it very difficult to choose which residency to apply to, having only been exposed to 1 month of pysch, and don't want to box myself into something I end up not enjoying in the long run. Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm curious to know how the primary treatment for "crisis" situations is pharmacotherapy. I get that benzos can be very helpful for the anxious, antipsychotics for the agitated and paranoid, etc. However, in my experience, mostly what you do with people in "crisis" is talk to them. This is what supportive psychotherapy is all about, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious to know how the primary treatment for "crisis" situations is pharmacotherapy. I get that benzos can be very helpful for the anxious, antipsychotics for the agitated and paranoid, etc. However, in my experience, mostly what you do with people in "crisis" is talk to them. This is what supportive psychotherapy is all about, no?

Well by crisis unit, it was more of a short term treament facility for the acutely mentally ill than a psych ER. There was therapy with the RN's and therapist, but the pyschiatrists (whom I spent the majority of time with) did mostly quick evauluations and medical management.

Well by crisis unit, it was more of a short term treament facility for the acutely mentally ill than a psych ER. There was therapy with the RN's and therapist, but the pyschiatrists (whom I spent the majority of time with) did mostly quick evauluations and medical management.

Sounds like my psych rotation. Where are you?

No wonder, we probably had the same rotation. Also liked it, but am also wondering what outpt life is like. There is another couple of docs there that let students do more outpt work. Maybe you could do an elective or just a few days there...Ive been back home in Va, otherwise I'd do the same thing.

No wonder, we probably had the same rotation. Also liked it, but am also wondering what outpt life is like. There is another couple of docs there that let students do more outpt work. Maybe you could do an elective or just a few days there...Ive been back home in Va, otherwise I'd do the same thing.

Crazy, small world. I plan on doing an elective in psych, just haven't figured out where yet. Are you a NOVA student or LECOM?

Crazy, small world. I plan on doing an elective in psych, just haven't figured out where yet. Are you a NOVA student or LECOM?

Lecom. Judging by your s/n I think I you are too. Ditto on the elective thing. I'm working on that now, actually. My psych doc's fellowship program (Columbia, SC) said they'd have me, and also working on a site in Va too.