Interested in Radiation oncology but not sure how much research i can do, NOT MD/PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.0ne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

as the title states, I'm very much interested in radiation oncology but have no idea how much research I may be able to in my summer off between year 1 and year 2. also i'm not an md/phd and i know for this speciality specifically that sort of background is looked highly upon (also have no prior experience with biophysics or physics, was a regular biological sciences major in undergrad). all things being equal (good step scores, good letters etc), how much is the minimal research going to hinder me?

Thanks!

p.s. go to an allopathic md school with a home rad onc program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

as the title states, I'm very much interested in radiation oncology but have no idea how much research I may be able to in my summer off between year 1 and year 2. also i'm not an md/phd and i know for this speciality specifically that sort of background is looked highly upon (also have no prior experience with biophysics or physics, was a regular biological sciences major in undergrad). all things being equal (good step scores, good letters etc), how much is the minimal research going to hinder me?

Thanks!

If you do research between MS1 and 2 you'll be ahead of most applicants to start. Develop a relationship with your home program, you can do research throughout the years, and should be fine from the research perspective.

Only about 1/3 of radiation oncology residents have PhDs... That is a high #, surely, but it also means that 2/3 don't. Probably half are in the same position you just posted--picking up whatever research opportunities they have in medical school without taking a year or more of time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer between Year 1 and 2 seems like the opportune time to take on a project, but that's pretty much over here in late August.

If you do research between MS1 and 2 you'll be ahead of most applicants to start. Develop a relationship with your home program, you can do research throughout the years, and should be fine from the research perspective.

Only about 1/3 of radiation oncology residents have PhDs... That is a high #, surely, but it also means that 2/3 don't. Probably half are in the same position you just posted--picking up whatever research opportunities they have in medical school without taking a year or more of time off.

Thank you for your replies. What are the average number of publications for the successful rad onc applicant? And do 'publications' also include posters and oral presentations?

I should mention that I have a significant amount of translational research coming in from undergrad (a few papers, one of which is first authorship), NOT related to rad onc, however. How, if at all, can this help me when applying to rad onc residencies?

Thank you for your replies. What are the average number of publications for the successful rad onc applicant? And do 'publications' also include posters and oral presentations?

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

I should mention that I have a significant amount of translational research coming in from undergrad (a few papers, one of which is first authorship), NOT related to rad onc, however. ... can this help me when applying to rad onc residencies?

No.

Reactions: 1 user

I should mention that I have a significant amount of translational research coming in from undergrad (a few papers, one of which is first authorship), NOT related to rad onc, however. How, if at all, can this help me when applying to rad onc residencies?
I disagree with Neuronix. As a PD for >20 years I consider scholarly activity regardless of subject matter-it doesn't need to be specific to radiotherapy. The important element is that you have some understanding of the scholarly process and have successfully navigated it resulting in a published paper. Papers are much more important that abstracts (which are a dime a dozen and easily accepted as meetings depend on registration $ (ASTRO acceptance rate is >85%).

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I think the value of publishing a paper is it demonstrates the ability to see something through to the end. It eats a lot of your time and is a frustrating process, so if you're willing to do it, you may be willing to see other things through as well. It can't hurt.

You strongly consider undergraduate research outside rad onc when making residency selections? Ok fair enough.

My impression was that undergraduate research outside rad onc is generally not considered strongly when applying to residency, but it's never possible to speak for every residency program.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

While having an interest is all well and good. Have you had a chance to look at the top 3 threads running on this forum? I'd direct you to those and the last ACRO webinar that just ran yesterday. Registering is free but the information is great.