Interested in starting a fraternity at VCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phi Sig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, let me tell you a little bit about the Phi Sigma Gamma Fraternity. Founded in 1917 with the purpose of facilitating the establishment and maintenance of social as well as professional relationships between members of the osteopathic profession while at PCOM and after graduation. Membership is open to any male student in good standing who shows an interest in the advancement of the osteopathic medical profession and of the Phi Sigma Gamma Fraternity. Phi Sig chapters sponsor a variety of educational seminars featuring guest lecturers throughout the many medical specialties.

That said, I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting a chapter of Phi Sigma Gamma at VCOM or at any one of the other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Phi Sig said:
First, let me tell you a little bit about the Phi Sigma Gamma Fraternity. Founded in 1917 with the purpose of facilitating the establishment and maintenance of social as well as professional relationships between members of the osteopathic profession while at PCOM and after graduation. Membership is open to any male student in good standing who shows an interest in the advancement of the osteopathic medical profession and of the Phi Sigma Gamma Fraternity. Phi Sig chapters sponsor a variety of educational seminars featuring guest lecturers throughout the many medical specialties.

That said, I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting a chapter of Phi Sigma Gamma at VCOM?

Hey,

I'm a Phi Sig brother at PCOM and think that the fraternity is a great thing. This fraternity has been around for so long (est. 1917) and for the most part there has been great communication between the brothers who have come before us and us the current active brothers. We are constantly working to maintain this communication. I just found out that my PCP back home is a PCOM Phi Sig brother. I can't wait to let him know that I'm one too :laugh: . At any rate, we are involved in community service, raise significant amounts of money for various charities, and hold evening reports where Phi Sig brothers who are currently practicing come to the fraternity house (yes we do have one) to go over interesting cases from virtually every discipline. The comradery among all of the Phi Sig brothers (past and present) is pretty awesome. If you can get this started at VCOM I think that it would prove to be worthwhile for you, future VCOM students, the school, and your local community.

If you would like more information on us, send me a private message.

Take care.

It would be nice to have one for VCOM, what all needs to be done to get it going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a comparable female sorority?

To answer the 2nd question 1st, yes, there is a comparable female sorority.

With regards to starting the fraternity, I would assume that you need to get a charter. How to do that... that's another question. Let me do some research and I'll get back to you. PM me your email address.

First, let me say that it is great that you are interested in starting a chapter. You won't regret it, we have lots of fun here in Philly.

As for the info that you need, the charter is not really a big deal. I just finished up a year as an officer of Phi Sig here in Philly which is the oldest active chapter and I can coordinate any paperwork. Really the next step is yours, since it should be to have a meeting at VCOM to see what the interest level at the school is. Once you see how many people are interested then you have an induction ceremony (info to be provided later). Once you are set as a group, then it is best to go to the school's student government as one group. Once that's done, your golden. More info on Phi Sigma Gamma can be found at the official website:

http://www.geocities.com/phisigmagamma

At the bottom of the page is the email address for the webmaster, which comes to me so I can be reached through there for more detailed info.

Paul R.

Thanks for the compliments. Phi Sigma Gamma is a great organization. I have made alot of connections with doctors from almost every field thanks to our Evening Reports, and to tell the truth the fraternity has given me a great place to relax and unwind, especially at the parties. Three great ones this year alone that were cosponsored by the sorority here at PCOM. We even had a bands at them. Please let me know if anyone is interested in starting a chapter at any of the schools that doesn't have one already.

As far as I know, NYCOM does not have a fraternity on their campus (although that information comes to me second hand through a friend who has a friend at NYCOM). Sorry, but as always one could be started there... ;)

Last Spring, a number of people replied to this thread and I just thought I would see what happened now that the new year has begun? Hope all have settled well into the new school year. If there are any questions about Phi Sigma Gamma, feel free to send me any and/or all questions. Good luck to all during this year. :)