Interested In UNECOM!Do I have a Chance?HELP PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pag

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in my senior year of my undergrad studying sports med - allied health and athletic training. During my first two years of college i recieved several C's. Starting my junior year I started doing well - 3.5 student. My overall gpa is 2.9 - not good. In the past year I've decided I want to become a primary care D.O.. I'm a native of southern Maine and extremely interested in UNECOM. Further, I have not taken the MCAT because I havn't taken Organic chem yet. Does anyone know if UNE offers a program (something like a Postbacc.) to accomadate my needs? Perhaps a non-degree program. Any help positive or negative is welcome.
Do I have a prayer? Suggestions?
I also understand that UNECOM gives strong preference to Maine students and a large percentage are excepted! True/False? Thanks for reading!!!

------------------

Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

Anthony,

UNE is a great school. Call 1800 477-4UNE and ask to speak with Lisa Lane. Ask her for advice. Also, check out the USNews website and the UNE web stie to get specific information about UNECOM. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm
and http://www.une.edu/COM/compage1.html

I can say that a 2.9 won't keep you out, but you need a good MCAT to help. Strong letters will help too. Consider Kaplan, Princeton or Columbia courses. I did the Kaplan course the first time and did OK for having been out of undergrad for 11 years. The second time, I restudied the Kaplan stuff but did the Columbia method for verbal (I ordered the Verbal Reasoning Powerbuilder - #6 in their home study course) and went from a 6 to a 9.

Lastly, shadow some DOs in the area. If you get a good letter from a local DO, it will carry some weight, especially if they are an UNE alum.

Email me if you have more questions - [email protected]

------------------
Phillip Snider, MS, RD
UNECOM '04
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.