Interesting anatomy article in LA Times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caltrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-gross-anatomy-20110425,0,5409504.story

It's by a first year. I can definitely relate to many of those feelings.

I have mixed feelings about anatomy. Hated it while I was doing it most of the time, but it ended up being one of my best learning experiences in med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I enjoyed it as well. I definitely have complicated feelings towards gross anatomy and I haven't even gotten there yet.

I enjoyed it as well. I definitely have complicated feelings towards gross anatomy and I haven't even gotten there yet.

This article describes fairly well how I felt about working with cadavers for the first time.

I appreciate that it was only a little dramatic, not totally overblown. It touches on some common themes (the smell, respect for the dead, how strangely inhuman a preserved body can be while still providing evidence of the life that was lived).

Cadavers force you to confront a strange reality. For all of your ambition wanting to be a doctor, world-changer, combination POTUS and curer of AIDs or whatever...time is flying by and one day, in spite of all your ambition, you'll be on your own table in the morgue. At least, that was something I couldn't ignore.