Interesting Article about the University of Arkansas College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boomuntilnoon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize Arkansas is probably the last place most of y'all would ever consider for medical school... but you should read this article that was just published and tell me what you think. When I interviewed, I thought the school was fantastic despite some of their bass-ackwards policies. I feel like I could contribute a lot to next year's class, but after reading this article, I have to wonder if the class and the overall experience will benefit me... or if it will be a regression back to high school?

(Aside: I have only been an Arkansas resident for about two years now, but in that time I have learned that the entire K-12 educational system is a complete quandry, and that the state has the highest percentage of children <18 living in poverty in the nation (somewhere near 30%)... funny seeing as how the richest family in the world lives 10 minutes away from my house... anyway, read on.)

Rx for medical freshmen: Catch up... Many students aren't adequately prepared by Arkansas schools for med school.

Members don't see this ad.

{ funny seeing as how the richest family in the world lives 10 minutes away from my house.}

You must live in NW AR. I attended public schools in Alma, AR from K-11 and couldn't wait to leave the state. I will say that the public school in Alma was far better than the one I went to in Kansas my senior year.

My parents recently returned to Ark. to care for my grandmother. My mom has been trying to talk me into going to UAMS so that I would be close to family.... This article is worrisome, to say the least.

Theresa