1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting article

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by drusso, Oct 29, 2002.

1. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

Is it really THAT bad? Its common knowledge that they get lesser compensation but the tone was more post-mortem-ish.

4. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

"I just hope to make enough to pay the electric bill so I can keep the lights on tonight while I finish my paperwork."

I think this is way too melodramatic. It cannot be that bad unless this doc runs a private practice with absolutely no patient base.

5. Jim Picotte

Jim Picotte Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think it depends on where you practice and how many Medicaid, Medicare patients you have as well. It has certainly gotten much worse the past couple of years with lower reimbursment rates from the government , higher malpractice rates and even more people becoming uninsured. Medicare reimbursment will drop 12% in the next 3 years, you think your insurance carrier, office staff wouldn't mind a 12% pay cut? Another reason why it is so important to be politically active and fight for all physicians, not just your specialty. I mean the CRNAs make more money here than the Family Practice docs and general Internists do and some RN's are getting close. Not that money matters though right. If you look at it from a purely business standpoint, the return on investment is becoming pretty poor. Medical school is becoming more and more expensive and with state budget shortfalls, the Universities are getting less and less money so tuition increases will be inevitable. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the average loan debt in the next 5 years grows closer to the $200,000 mark. It's a problem, but it still is a wonderful profession.

6. ApacheIndian

ApacheIndian philomath
    10+ Year Member

Wow. Interesting...