Interesting case II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Drs ,
I started this case more than 5 months ago , An open apex in a lower lateral incisor with history of trauma , X-rays showed immature apex and radiolucency periapically . ( refer to interesting case ) .
Well,What I did along the past five months was opening the root canal , careful filing and copious irrigation and filling the canal with Ultradent Calcium hydroxide paste .
I have been doing this every 10 days for 5 months and guess what happened ?
First , A slight radio-opaque lining could be seen along the apical root part with slight narrowing of the apex .
second , the Radiolucent area encircling the apex started showing a radio opaque well demarcated area ( i'm not sure whether that means that bone is being formed or not ) . But still the progress is extremely slow and I am wondering if it's wise to obturate the canal using the Soft Gutta percha technique or should I better wait till the periapical radiolucency is reduced in size ..
Any Suggestions here ?
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Shiko:
•Hey Drs ,
I started this case more than 5 months ago , An open apex in a lower lateral incisor with history of trauma , X-rays showed immature apex and radiolucency periapically . ( refer to interesting case ) .
Well,What I did along the past five months was opening the root canal , careful filing and copious irrigation and filling the canal with Ultradent Calcium hydroxide paste .
I have been doing this every 10 days for 5 months and guess what happened ?
First , A slight radio-opaque lining could be seen along the apical root part with slight narrowing of the apex .
second , the Radiolucent area encircling the apex started showing a radio opaque well demarcated area ( i'm not sure whether that means that bone is being formed or not ) . But still the progress is extremely slow and I am wondering if it's wise to obturate the canal using the Soft Gutta percha technique or should I better wait till the periapical radiolucency is reduced in size ..
Any Suggestions here ?
:rolleyes: •••••hi i had the patient whose dental history was very similar to your pt.
the teeth i treated was #10 and after i did canal enlargement and dressing i filled the canal with pure calcium hydroxide and changed it every 4 weeks and i could find out the apical stop was formed not by the radiograph but by the #30 k file after 7 months.
so i filled the canal with gutta percha cone even though there was still somewhat large periapical lesion.
and unfortunately i failed to keep in touch with my patient so i can't tell you that big periapical lesion is ok now.

i hope that it helps you.

i definitely could feel the existence of apical stop and so amazed .
at that time i was dental student and i bet you could understand that excitement. :clap: :clap: