SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interesting info from our dean of admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lamyers, Aug 13, 2001.

1. lamyers

lamyers Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Pensacola, Fl
    Today I went to speak with our dean of admissions. (Another advantage of a small Southern public school!) We talked at length about this fiasco. For instance, they have been working on this program for years, and have been telling the schools that they were way ahead of schedule. Also, all of the med schools received the specs several times about what they had to buy to be able to receive the transmitted apps. They have been kept updated and they all pretty much are "set up" to handle it. My school is. THe problem is, AMCAS sends 4 to 5 new downloads a week to fix "problems". He said that they are so complicated, he has to call in tech support to download them and they do not work for free. He is very upset about the excess billing due to AMCAS.

As of last week, they have received the notorious one page summaries. They had a whole stack of them, in no particular order of course. They were told that the real ones would start next week. They do not believe that any more than you or I. Our dean is worried that they are only doing "crisis management" and handling immediate problems. They "patch" those problems but are not fixing the programs. He is worried that not only are WE all screwed, but we are less than 9 months away from the next cycle already with no solution in sight. He calls it a major screw up and foresees delaying his deadlines several times. Another tidbit, the one pagers do indeed contain name, address, etc, GPA, MCATs and that's about it. I saw 'em.

Last note before you guys die of boredom here. He told me of an attoney whose daughter is in Yale. He sent the president (Cohen?) a letter. He stated that his daughters app would be submitted the next day, and if it was not processed in a reasonable fashion, he would use his extensive (big-name)firm and all of their resources to bring AMCAS down! How funny!

My dean thinks this whole mess will end up with HUGE repercussions. Anyway, that's the scoop!

"Damn them, damn them all to hell!"

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Always interesting to see how the other half is taking all this.

4. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator 7+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2001
    lamyers,

Are you speaking of the Dean at USA?

5. sz

sz Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Hershey, PA
    why do we as applicant have to take all this crap AMCAS is dishing out. why don't WE do somthing about it. i.e lawers etc...
    Considering all the things AMCAS is doing wrong, I bet we have a really solid case.

6. lamyers

Aug 1, 2001
    Pensacola, Fl
    I know I gave out the conversation we had, but should I say which dean? Of course, why would he have said anything that couldn't be repeated? yeah, it is him.

7. pobo

pobo New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Baltimore
    Three words. Class Action Lawsuit.

8. Kevo

Kevo Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2000
    lamyers,
    are you doing your undergrad at south?

9. lamyers

Aug 1, 2001
    Pensacola, Fl
    Yes, I am. Biomedical science. I really like it there.

10. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator 7+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2001
    lamyers,

I was just curious b/c I've been following your occasional posts. I didn't mean to be "nosey." Sorry if I came across that way. Good luck at South.

11. lamyers

Aug 1, 2001
    Pensacola, Fl
    No no, I didn't think that at all. I kind of felt bad about blabbing about what he told me, and I wondered if I should say who, that's all!