Interesting medical cure for hiccups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time to spice up the pre-osteo forum a bit:

I was watching the news and saw the girl in Florida who has had hiccups for 3 weeks at 50 times a minute. So i looked up cures for hiccups in pubmed and got this - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3395000&dopt=Citation

that's right, to cure intractable hiccups, you can stick a finger up the anus:laugh: This paper was actually published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine . Fitting title to the journal, don't you think:laugh:

the healing power of the hands. go OMM, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Time to spice up the pre-osteo forum a bit:

I was watching the news and saw the girl in Florida who has had hiccups for 3 weeks at 50 times a minute. So i looked up cures for hiccups in pubmed and got this - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3395000&dopt=Citation

that's right, to cure intractable hiccups, you can stick a finger up the anus:laugh: This paper was actually published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine . Fitting title to the journal, don't you think:laugh:

the healing power of the hands. go OMM, lol.

:laugh: LOL

I wanted to read what the article had to say, but alas $30 is too steep for the potential chuckle.

Amazing. I hope the osteopathic "punch to the gut" is the next publication.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL! Ahh, proof that manipulation is a viable treatment option; even if it is merely digital! I would like to do a study on the techniques of The Three Stooges!

i dunno about that one, but my dad is an ER doc and usually tells people to take a spoonful of sugar, which works fine usually.

Found some text:

Wikipedia said:
In 2006, Francis Fesmire of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine received an Ig Nobel prize for medicine after he published "Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage" in 1988.[1] In an attempt to block the runaway messages on the vagus nerve, Fesmire found that the stimulation of the vagus nerve by digital rectal massage worked, stopping the patients bout of hiccupping.

Does anyone have PDFs or full text of these studies? Could these studies somehow be combined?

i dunno about that one, but my dad is an ER doc and usually tells people to take a spoonful of sugar, which works fine usually.

Or, have sex:

Wikipedia said:
Fesmire also commented "An orgasm results in incredible stimulation of the vagus nerve. From now on, I will be recommending sex – culminating with orgasm – as the cure-all for intractable hiccups.", so perhaps this is a more efficient and desirable cure for intractable hiccups.[4]

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel sorry for the Doctor who has to tell his/her hiccup patient the news.

Doctor: Well we have a cure for hiccups
Patient: Tell me, I'll do anything
Doctor: Ok, lie down on your side, bring your legs to your abdomen
Patient: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Thats just wrong on so many levels, but I'm not gonna point any fingers at anyone in this smelly situation. No point in poking fun at such a medical procedure. I mean its been analyzed and proven effective.

well people always said that scaring the $hit "out" of someone can get rid of the hiccups.....who would've thought that pushing it "in" worked as well

Here’s what I want to know: was the hiccup study blinded & placebo controlled? How do you pull that off…I mean, how do you even consent patients for something like that.

Dr: Ok Mr. Smith we have this new experimental treatment for curing intractable hiccups. Would you be willing to participate in a study to test its efficacy?
Mr. S: Treatment huh? What does it entail?
Dr: Well, we’d be sticking a metal rod up you’re a** & moving it around a bit. Oh yeah, and I must tell you, there’s a 50% chance you’ll get the placebo rod.

I can’t even convince patients to let me draw their blood in the name of medical science.

well people always said that scaring the $hit "out" of someone can get rid of the hiccups.....who would've thought that pushing it "in" worked as well

Hey, that scares the sheet outta me; so. same principle! (Actually i guess "into me" is more appropriate, as impaction is the culprit) :p

They alluded to this study on House two weeks ago..................... I'll stick with the one taight in school rrather than this cure. Though being able to snap on the latx gloves and say "Just try to relax", would be a great thing

I'v actually heard this before. There are a lot of crazy things you can do to cure hiccups...i had a friend who had the hiccups for over a year...the progressively became less and less though. so she would hiccup only once an hour or two hours or something, until they just stopped oneday.

Being and MD student and seeing stuff like this makes me mad that I didnt know more about osteopathic education when I was applying...this kind of stuff is really cool and fascinating as well...

im guessing you might be being sarcastic? but in case you're not - you do realize this stuff isn't actually OMM, right?

im guessing you might be being sarcastic? but in case you're not - you do realize this stuff isn't actually OMM, right?

Na, I have no DO/MD beef at all, I'm just not that kinda guy, were all colleagues here...so no not being sarcastic at all, apparently just misinformed... :p

Sill cool tho!

I have a copy of an article espousing the health benefits of a woman swallowing semen to reduce her risk of eclampsia. "Swallow.....doctor's orders."