Interesting News from AACR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Husk has dropped off tremendously since Covid and Sean Brock left. There are much better meals to be had in that city. However, the bar is still great with a great burger.

I endorse this take re: The bar out back with a burger is best bang for buck current Charleston Husk.

I don't live in Charleston but go there a fair bit. I liked Chez Nous last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. I have upgraded to tinned spanish mackeral and Juul pods, but if times get tough, will be back to Chicken-Of-The-Sea and Marlboro Reds.

These guys that are crushing it in PP, getting all these upfront cases - you don't think the rest of us aren't hustling? I literally have pathology behind my office and she is a friend of the practice - she gives me any positive path and I harangue the ordering physician to send me the patient. I have met with everyone (everywhere I work) and rarely can I change a pattern that has been set in place for 2 decades.

Other than just saying you are a complete oncologist, what actionable steps can you take to change the pattern of referrals? I got a competitor next door cleaning my clock.
Agree this is tough.

I've been contacting every PCP I haven't met whenever I treat one of their patients to introduce myself, offer my contact info and tell them to contact me anytime if they have concerns for cancer. I also make sure they are getting records about the patient's cancer treatment... which it is pretty common for them to get left out of the entire process. They really appreciate that.

We will see how that goes. There is a very ingrained referral pattern here so I doubt I'll get them directly, but I have had patients start to ask for me by name.

Reactions: 1 users
What’s a good bribe gift that won’t get you in trouble? Does crypto count as currency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree this is tough.

I've been contacting every PCP I haven't met whenever I treat one of their patients to introduce myself, offer my contact info and tell them to contact me anytime if they have concerns for cancer. I also make sure they are getting records about the patient's cancer treatment... which it is pretty common for them to get left out of the entire process. They really appreciate that.

We will see how that goes. There is a very ingrained referral pattern here so I doubt I'll get them directly, but I have had patients start to ask for me by name.
I’ve played this game. Not worth the effort in my opinion. Maybe if you own your practice and what not it could be but pay off is low. If you can’t biopsy the patient and establish the diagnosis pcp aren’t really going to care how nice or whatever you are and that’s what they are concerned about. You are better of spending that time establishing relationships with referring surgeons in an effort to by-pass med oncs and getting a direct referral from that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Too far away in the referral chain to cater to PCP’s. Besides, most of them are corporate men, anyway

Reactions: 1 user