Interesting practice options in health psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QPublic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone practicing in a unique area of health psychology/behavioral medicine, or aware of some niches that they can suggest? I'm currently working in a rehab setting but I am looking for additional avenues outside of the usual. I've been toying with the idea of private practice but I'm on the fence about that (would prefer to do it free of managed care, but I'm not sure about the feasibility of that in a health psych context -- eg, many patients referred are not initially sold on the idea of psychological intervention).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did a practicum in child oncology at a children's hospital. My work included working with child/adolescent patients and their families regarding coping with chronic illness, externalizing/internalizing symptoms, and palliative care. There are a lot of opportunities in Health Psych.

I will be starting a practicum in health psych transplant consulting in July. The doctor (PhD) I will be working with is in the Psychiatry dept at a hospital and is consulted in organ transplant or living donor cases. I will also be doing bariatric surgery evaluations.