Interesting Residency Trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Right now, there are (of course) specialties that are more difficult to attain and those that are less difficult to attain.

That said, does anyone foresee any TRENDS in certain specialties that will be realized over the next 3-4 years?

I'd love to hear people's opinions about:
1. those specialties that are going from hard --> easy
2. those specialties that are going from easy --> hard...

Any takers?

Thanks, Frank

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO...

Gen Surg - should be a relatively easy match
Anesthesia - gonna shoot up even further in competitiveness
PM&R - getting tougher every year as more and more people are coming to realize what the acronym stands for

But what do I know :p ...

What is PM &R ??? Is it Primary medicine? I know I sound a bit dum here, never mind...

How different is from normal internal medicine ?

Originally posted by Jani
What is PM &R ???
How different is from normal internal medicine?

It stand for Plenty of Money & Relaxation... obviously very different from Internal Medicine ;).

O.k. o.k... it stands for Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. From my understanding, it's sort of like being an MD chiropractor... good lifestyle, good money, relatively benign residency. If you wanna know more, check out the PM&R forum under Specialty Forums... Stinky Tofu's a PM&R Resident at Harvard and he for one really knows his stuff about it (and he's got a PHAT M3 :eek: ).

PM&R: getting much more competetive. Applications up 25% or so last year alone. I think PM&R has seen the biggest change as far as residency popularity goes.

Gen. Surg: very unpopular now, probably due to poor money for the training
Anesthesia: getting much harder every year.

Primary care got hurt last year!
Medicine, and Peds, and family medicine, all had more unmatched spots!!

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts

O.k. o.k... it stands for Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. From my understanding, it's sort of like being an MD chiropractor...

CRINGE! Unless chiropractors are now treating people with stroke, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, and serious neuromuscular diseases and doing interventional pain procedures I think most physiatrists would cringe at this comparison. Follow this link to get some information about what PM&R and physiatry is all about and then check out the links in the PM&R section under specialties:

What is a physiatrist?

Originally posted by drusso

CRINGE! Unless chiropractors are now treating people with stroke, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, and serious neuromuscular diseases and doing interventional pain procedures I think most physiatrists would cringe at this comparison. Follow this link to get some information about what PM&R and physiatry is all about and then check out the links in the PM&R section under specialties:

What is a physiatrist?

Thanks for the link... I see that there's a lot more to PM&R than meets the eye... no offense intended by my silly comparison :)...