Interesting situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmofoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im in a bit of a pickle. To start, I graduated with a business degree about 2 years ago with a 3.8 gpa, 5 of those classes were math classes and 1 was a biology class with all A's, which is huge for the sGPA. I since transfered to a more prestigious university, where I started out rough with a C+ in Chem II and Pass in a P/F course in Physiology. I did well my next semster with a 3.86 in Ochem, Physics 1, and Bio 1. Now, Im in Bio 2, Physcis 2, and Ochem 2. Im in a predicament in that Im looking at dropping Physics 2 because it looks like a C is looming, and i dont want to take the chance. The situation is that im a non-traditional applicant, and how would getting another W affect me? I already have 3 one from 2005, I deployed, and 2 from a year ago I got mono, and had to drop most of my classes that semester. Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Since the others are explainable, I would worry more about the C than a W.

Hi everyone,
Im in a bit of a pickle. To start, I graduated with a business degree about 2 years ago with a 3.8 gpa, 5 of those classes were math classes and 1 was a biology class with all A's, which is huge for the sGPA. I since transfered to a more prestigious university, where I started out rough with a C+ in Chem II and Pass in a P/F course in Physiology. I did well my next semster with a 3.86 in Ochem, Physics 1, and Bio 1. Now, Im in Bio 2, Physcis 2, and Ochem 2. Im in a predicament in that Im looking at dropping Physics 2 because it looks like a C is looming, and i dont want to take the chance. The situation is that im a non-traditional applicant, and how would getting another W affect me? I already have 3 one from 2005, I deployed, and 2 from a year ago I got mono, and had to drop most of my classes that semester. Any input would be appreciated.

Although medschools may look down on a withdrawal, it is still probably better than a C. Still, you don't want to fill your transcript with too many W's. Try the best you can to achieve an A or B, but if it's just not working out for whatever reason (sickness, accident, or simply not ready for the course) then withdraw. However, there are people who get C's in classes and still enter medschool (given that the other aspects of the application are strong and competitive). Because you are a non-traditional applicant, you have the advantage of having years upon years of experience in the clinical setting, which may compensate for the lower GPA. I say try your best on the next exam to see if you can boost that Physics grade to a high B (and beyond, you can do it :)) and then make the decision from there. I don't know when's the drop date for the university you attend so hopefully you have time to think more about this decision. Best wishes :luck:

might not look good for a very competitive school, but with an interesting background and enough applications you will still get in somewhere if you do well on MCAT